News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Prototype Breakout Board Buzz

Started by skypn, July 27, 2019, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

I am currently building a break out board to help me try different components before committing to solder , sorta my own take on the Bevis board. To test the board itself before adding a circuit, I tested it by jumping the circuit in and circuit out, as I read somewhere on line, to simulate a perfectly working circuit. In by-pass the sound is clear as a bell. When I turn on the board I get a buzz. I can hear the guitar over this buzz, whether there is power to the board or not. I am quite the newb so I don't know who would be the usual suspects in this case.  I feel I can rule out the jacks, as I get a nice signal in by-pass. Maybe my wiring/soldering to the dc jack, because it acts like it doesn't care if there is power or not. Then again, maybe the 3PDT switch/board. Or maybe because the wires leading out the the box to the terminal strip are much longer than the jumper on the switch for bypass. I have twisted the heck out the those long wires. I don't know where to start looking.
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

nocentelli

"buzz" makes this sound like a lack of ground connection between the shields/sleeves of the input and output jacks, but unless you are switching the ground when you switch the guitar signal I can't see why it would be any different in bypass compared to going "circuit in" direct to circuit out.

Can you share a diagram or description of how you have wired the board, focusing on the bypass switching and power connections?

skypn

Ok, I found the hum (it was more of a hum than a buzz). Upon a closer inspection of the switch pcb, I feared I may have tanked it due to the repeated soldering/de soldering, so l started over with a fresh board and switch. The sound improved greatly, but there was still a little amount left. Unplugged the headphones, and wallah...nice clean sound (note, I'm an insomniac, so the Mrs was a *tad* miffed to hear Bass, even softy, at 12:30am :) ).
Being anal, l first wired to two jacks together straight, then added the switch, one side at a time (by-pass, the out to the "circuit"), to eliminate all variables.
Hey the whole point of this is to learn, and l have learned something.
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake