News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stage Fright 2015 - clean signal, no phasing

Started by dmitrogen47, July 22, 2019, 09:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitrogen47

Hello everyone!

Built a Stage Fright and encountering an issue - the sound through it is clean, no phasing.
Neither the Speed nor Balls controls do anything sound wise, and the internal trimpot doesn't change anything.
Switching the 5/6 produces a loud pop though.
The LED that pulses with the LFO does go bright and dim, and this is affected by the pots.

Checked the component values - everything seems correct.
Checked for shorts - none.
Tried swapping out all the ICs - no effect.

I will post voltages of all pins of the ICs and transistors, but what do I measure - AC or DC?
Some measurements bounce a lot. How do I set the Speed, Balls, 5/6 and the internal trimpot to get the most correct measurements?

Thanks in advance!

dmitrogen47

Well, what do you know...

Was building a Slow Loris, which also calls for a 2n5457 JFET, and had an issue with it as well. It was SUPER quiet signal wise, but produced a lot of noise. My previous Loris built for a friend had no issues, and was using the same components.

Using a proper quality 2n5457 resolved the issues in both pedals - the Slow Loris regained its voice, the Stage Fright began phasing, and all controls work.

Bottom line: don't buy parts on AliExpress, use reliable suppliers.

P.S.: A question to the man himself (Brian) - from what I understand (my knowledge is limited, I may be wrong), both the Slow Loris and the Stage Fright use 2n5457 for output buffer. Is there any other TO-92 JFET that is currently in production that can be used instead of the 2n5457 that is getting quite difficult to get a hold of? Thanks in advance!