News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lectric FX Flintlock range calibration

Started by slowpogo, July 23, 2019, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpogo

I built the Flintlock and started to calibrate it, and found out that my fancy Klein multimeter only measures up to 50kHz.  So I couldn't properly calibrate the C_Max or C_Range right away.  Even so, I played with the other trim pots like volume, enhance level, etc as best I could.  I loved how the pedal sounded this way, a nice vivid flange sound.  I was getting a pretty spot on "Lightning Crashes" type tone out of it.

Anyway I ordered a cheapo multimeter that could handle the measurement, and then proceeded to calibrate everything (with the help of moosapotamus's videos).  I did everything the proper way, using audio software to get the levels right, etc.  I got Range knob to meet the 69.6kHz/2.6MHz specs. 

AND.....I don't like how the pedal sounds nearly as much.  When I did the initial measurements, the Range was something like 45khz/4Mhz, way off.  But it sounded better to my ears.  Is there anything wrong with running it this way, will it harm the ICs?  It may not be accurate to the original A/DA specs, but I've never played an original anyway and I like a bit more high end in my flanger.

Bio77

I was hoping someone would chime in on this one.  Are any rules of of thumb for adjusting flange circuit parameters?  The question makes me want to experiment a little with my ADA build.

skeeter

I soldered two wires  one from the test point and one from ground with aligator clips to the multimeter probes that way you can make adjustments easier ,I  found getting the 69.6 and 2.6 ,leaving the auto at centre and tweaking the bias and mix is the best way trying to adjust the Auto is impossible so just leave at centre .I had boxed it without getting the settings right and it didn't sound great so I went back and set the C max and C range properly other wise the manuel and range will have limited use