News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jack placement/setup for v2 switching board

Started by Bret608, July 31, 2019, 05:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

I am in the process of building a Distortion 3, and this is the first time I have used the Neutrik enclosed board-mounted jacks. I see they come with 3 black plastic washers under the metal nut. Do all those go on the inside of the enclosure, with just the metal one on the outside? That seems to be the only way to get the jacks to line up with the solder pads on the switching board. I may have gotten myself confused since one of those black plastic washers is sort of beveled, which made me think it should go on the outside under the metal nut.

Thanks! Hopefully this is not a lame question...

zgrav

I put the beveled ring on the outside of the enclosure and another plastic ring on the inside.

Bret608

Thanks! I will try that out. It seems like with the beveled ring on the outside and the other two rings on the inside like I was doing, the metal nut can't reach far enough in to screw in tight and still be in the right position for the pins to reach the solder pads.

Bret608

Nevermind, I am a dope!  :P These actually work just fine with the v2 layout. I wasn't looking close enough, so I didn't realize there are actually three plastic rings that go on the inside, with the beveled one on the outside. I guess you use however many of them you based on the particular project? Anyway, everything lines up perfectly now. Now I just have to get my head wrapped around how to line up and solder the three 9mm pots...

Aentons

Quote from: Bret608 on August 01, 2019, 11:30:15 AM
Nevermind, I am a dope!  :P These actually work just fine with the v2 layout. I wasn't looking close enough, so I didn't realize there are actually three plastic rings that go on the inside, with the beveled one on the outside. I guess you use however many of them you based on the particular project? Anyway, everything lines up perfectly now. Now I just have to get my head wrapped around how to line up and solder the three 9mm pots...

I ended up not using the two inner rings due to the slant of the enclosure sides and the way the jacks solder into the board at an angle. I was using the v1 board which has the jacks further out to the side. On the v2 it may not be as much of an issue.

Word of advice for the 9mm pots... Don't solder the anchor clips, just the 3 regular lugs. It's makes it much easier to get the board in and out and adjust them if you have to once you get it in the enclosure.

Also, paint the line before you put them in. It's easier to clean off the excess