News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD: Boss dd-7 not happy :(

Started by movinginslomo, August 15, 2019, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

So for the longest time I had a boss dd-5. Was my delay for years. Traded it for an original ce-2 a while back and replaced it with an EH deluxe memory boy. Decided I miss the digital delay too much, so off to reverb I go a-lookin'. No dd-5s, but they have a dd-7 and included home brew tempo box for $100. Sold. So I get it yesterday and it clips. Any remotely hot signal and it clips. Is this the internal buffer being overloaded? It clips in bypass as well. Doesn't play nice with my LP and I'm wondering how it's gonna do on my pedalboard with an overdrive through it. I don't recall the dd-5 ever clipping, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway it ticks me off royally. Right now I'm running the output of a PODxt through it as I had with the dd-5 for years. Little mention of this issue besides a random TGP thread. I hate to have wasted 100 bucks on a pedal I now can't use. I can't imagine there being any mods for these as everything is surface mount.

Muadzin

You must have gotten scammed on a shitty one, no problems whatsoever with my DD-7.

matmosphere

I'd open it up and see if somebody tried any mods, maybe that's the problem.

Never used a dd7 but I've got a dd6 and it doesn't have any clipping issues.

I used to have a deluxe memory boy as well, but I just wasn't into the way it sounded.

Adam_DIY

My dd7 doesn't have that issue either.

matmosphere

have you tried it without the pod? Might give some clues.

lars

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 16, 2019, 12:02:52 AM
I'd open it up and see if somebody tried any mods, maybe that's the problem.
+1 on this. Somebody probably tried to "unlock" secret sounds of whatever digital chip is in there and shorted a trace or two.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

movinginslomo

crap now I might have to open it. The thing looks barely used save for velcro on the bottom and included a tap tempo box. The velcro look fairly fresh too.

movinginslomo

Opened it up (with some difficulty) and appears to have never been opened. Everything looks factory. Bummer

EBK

Quote from: movinginslomo on August 16, 2019, 09:25:35 AM
Opened it up (with some difficulty) and appears to have never been opened. Everything looks factory. Bummer
I don't see anything. I'll take your word for it, I guess.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

HamSandwich

movinginslomo

Tried it with the rig. Basically it doesn't like any slightly hot signal through it. And my LP pickups are slightly hot. My p-90's are mostly ok and my strat is fine. Just kinda a bummer it can't handle all three.

Aentons

I have a DD-7 and I have never noticed anything like that either. Sorry.

This is what im running:
2005 SG Standard
490R (Alnico2) 7.2 - 7.83 KO
498T (Alnico5) 12.32-13.46 KO

movinginslomo

tried it direct into the pedal then into the rig nothing in front. I think I have it figured out now, it doesn't like hot input signals. Sent boss a support message they confirmed. Normal passive, normal active, nothing hot. It may also not be playing nice with my audio interface, as the more repeats stack up it start to clip. I've been used to pedals you can throw any signal into. And now that I think about it, the POD doesn't really like like anything remotely hot either and I have to be careful using the LP as it clips easily. Ultimately I need to find an alternative to the POD for recording the thing is too damn finicky.

Aentons

BTW, I also have an EH DMB and we shall never part.😃

It has a "secret"... The rate knob doubles as a control for a "low cut" on the repeats. To activate/deactive you just hold in the note interval button till it blinks and then twist the knob to you likeing. When you deactive, it will stay where you put it and then you use the rate knob as normal again. It's in the manual but I don't think most people know it's there.

I use mine before... Yes, before... a low drive tubscreamer and it is like no other. I cut the lows about half way and it sits just right and doesn't muddy up. I run a digital delay at the end (sometimes the dd7) but usually not at the same time. It's just another flavor of delay. Give it a try

movinginslomo

I love the secret EH options they put in! I love the memory boy don't get me wrong, but I want long delays and a feedback knob that doesn't shoot right into "OMG TURN IT OFF" territory right away. The dd-7 also has a modulation and analog mode as well if I find I need that vibe again.