News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris and Stage Fright - 2n5457 - role and replacement?

Started by dmitrogen47, August 08, 2019, 02:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitrogen47

Hi everyone,

I had issues with 2 completely different pedals using the 2n5457 JFET.
I got my 20-pack (not a single one worked in either effect!) of 2n5457's from AliExpress (big mistake!) and the issues were as follows:

1. Slow Loris produced an ungodly amount of loud hissing noise, behind which the distorted guitar signal was barely audible, and sounded more like a fuzz.
2. Stage Fright did not do any phasing - the signal passing through the effect was clean, and none of the controls did anything (except that switching the 5/6 switch gave a loud pop).

After I've replaced the (I assume) fake/bad 2n5457's in both effects with (I assume) genuine/good ones bought in my local store, both effects started working correctly.

Two questions to the more experienced builders:

1. What is the purpose of 2n5457 in both effects?
2. Is there something that is currently in production that can be used as a replacement? The cursed 2n5457 is getting harder and harder to obtain...

Thanks in advance!

mjg

I think that the SMD version of the 5457 is still in production, and you can solder them to little adaptor boards to use on through hole PCBs.  That's what I've been doing. 

Agree that buying them from AliExpress is not a great idea.  Don't try eBay either. 

For an example of the adaptor board, have a look at the DIYGP site (link is in the banner above), Paul sells them. 

BrianS

Smallbear sells them also. They're .75 each and real.