News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BOBRACHA! - Sabertooth Build - Oatmeal Series...

Started by eldanko, November 08, 2011, 07:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

This is my latest addition to my Oatmeal-inspired series of pedals (visible here:http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2523.0).  My bassist's favorite comics were the Bobcats and the Sriracha Rooster Sauce ones... and in the latest episode of the Bobcats (www.theoatmeal.com), those were gloriously married into the image used for the pedal.

This is my second Sabertooth, and I freaking love these things.  One of my favorite fuzzes ever.  I hope MB is planning on releasing some tweaked form of this pedal in the future, because it rocks.

Other random details:
- The sexy oversized caps are back again.  I'm actually enjoying finding ways to make them fit into things.
- The eyes are not LEDs; they're what Mammoth now refers to as "sub-miniature incandescent bulbs".  I was under the impression that I was ordering 3mm LEDs... this has now been corrected on their website.  These are not polarized, do not require a current limiting resistor, and they're bright as hell.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

LaceSensor

some nice mods are switchable output cap to change subs, and to add an input impedance knob (for a 5 knob mammoth).

eldanko

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 08, 2011, 08:02:05 PM
some nice mods are switchable output cap to change subs, and to add an input impedance knob (for a 5 knob mammoth).

Ooo I like mods.  Educate me... what would each of those accomplish?

eldanko

stecykmi

LaceSensor

Quote from: eldanko on November 08, 2011, 08:09:19 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on November 08, 2011, 08:02:05 PM

Ooo I like mods.  Educate me... what would each of those accomplish?

Well switching the caps would change the amount of bass.
See here for an example http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2010/02/zvex-mastotron.html

The input impedance thing is also shown here.
The mastotron is essentially a wooly mammoth with switchable bass and an input inpedance control.
It can make the fuzz more gated or open, and means you can get better results with it in a chain of effects , or with an active instrument.

eldanko

Ahhh... very cool... thanks for the tips.  Great blog by the way!!  You've inspired me to try that filter box...

nzCdog

LaceSensor

Quote from: eldanko on November 09, 2011, 04:13:56 PM
Ahhh... very cool... thanks for the tips.  Great blog by the way!!  You've inspired me to try that filter box...

Good to know someone reads it :)

jcuempire

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 10, 2011, 01:18:36 AM
Good to know someone reads it :)

He's not the only one. 

And gorgeous work on the BOBRACHA!  It's easier to write than to say

TNblueshawk

Awesome build man. Great execution on the eyes.

Didn't know Mammoth has these new thingamajiggy's. I'll check it out next order.
John

eldanko

I believe the knobs also came from Mammoth.  They're killer - much beefier feel than usual plastic knobs, a good set screw, etc...  Going to be using them a lot.