News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer voltages WAY off...?

Started by jolly1423, August 31, 2019, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jolly1423

So I just populated this Kingslayer, it's the second time I've built this and the first one sounded AMAZING. This one has zero sound. My voltages are all way off and I can't find the problem! Any ideas??? :(

madbean

I'd start with removing the two TL072 from their sockets. Now check pins 8 and 4 of each to see if you get (about) the same readings on the chart.

jolly1423

With ic's pulled I get about half the value that each should be.
Note: I also populated the Greenbean and the moodring along side this and the greenbean is doing the same thing, zero output and the moodring is at half volume. I've had dozens of successful builds and did nothing new. I don't know what is causing 3 failures in a row!! >:(

somnif

R25 is the wrong value on your board. Should be 22R (red-red-black-gold-brown) and you have what appears to be 22k in there.

edit: R23 is also wrong, you have 470k in where a 470R (yellow-purple-black-black-brown) should be.

jolly1423

Thanks for spotting those, somnif! That did it for the Kingslayer and I combed through the resistors on the greenbean and found a similar mistake. Both those are up and running! When I get time I'll do the same with the moodring and HOPEFULLY it's that simple for that one as well.

jolly1423

Good lord. Same thing on the moodring. A 470k where there should have been a 470r. I've never made that mistake before and I just did it on 3 simultaneous builds! Where is the face palm emoji?! Thanks again for the help and making me a little better at problem solving. I'll be checking that from now on!

somnif

Huzzah! Glad that fixed it. I've made similar mistakes myself, its always frustrating when you realize it too. 

So now I've trained myself to test each and every component before it goes on the board. (Granted, that doesn't help when I misread the build docs in the first place...  :-[ )

gordo

I had a similar run of flubs and it pushed me to get one of the cheap Tayda testers. I measure all resistors and most caps as I populate. Reduced my error rate to near zero. Multimeter would do the same but I like blinky lights and stuff :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

I have a bad habit of putting resistors back in the wrong bin so I end up reading each one before I use it. But, that ends up saving me from time to time.

jolly1423

QuoteI have a bad habit of putting resistors back in the wrong bin
I think that was the case in 1 or two of these mistakes. r values put into k value bags or vice versa.

QuoteI had a similar run of flubs and it pushed me to get one of the cheap Tayda testers

I'll take a look at those!

Thanks again, all!