News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solar Flare - a FauxJo adventure

Started by jubal81, September 02, 2019, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Always loved the Lunar Module circuit and I finally got around to doing something special with it. Gotta give a nod to Leevibe for inspiring me to get creative and it was a lot of fun.

Calling this 'FauxJo' because it looks oh so boutiquey when you look inside at those tube amp parts, but flipped over, you see all the SMD work on the other side.

For SMD, there's a cornish buffer (all MELF resistors and SMD film caps) that feeds a sound-to-light circuit and the fuzz itself. A PNP mosfet for polarity protection; twin polymer caps with an inductor to filter noise; all the other big caps are polymer SMD as well. The transistors are also all SMD.

The lunar module circuit is modded a bit (used a PCB from Bugg for socket testing). It's also all Sozo caps, polystyrene caps and carbon comp resistors.

The box is a Hammond textured black with a reverse laser-etched faceplate. Recorded a little video to show the indicator light.

[/url]
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

That's really beautiful.  Everything about that is top notch.

I love the contradiction of the mojo parts + SMT.  It should make everybody unhappy.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

mjcyates

One of the coolest pedals I have ever seen!

alanp

That is hilarious 8) Let us know what TGP and the like think of it!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Take the 's' out of https in the YouTube link for the embed to work.

jubal81

Quote from: somnif on September 02, 2019, 05:44:20 PM
Take the 's' out of https in the YouTube link for the embed to work.

Thanks, got it! Also been doing it in the wrong order. So, paste in the link, highlight it, then hit youtube button. I was using the button first.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Quote from: alanp on September 02, 2019, 04:54:33 PM
That is hilarious 8) Let us know what TGP and the like think of it!

I ought to do that. Not sure what would be the appropriate thread on there for that.
- David Fair

gordo

Sounds as cool as it looks too!  Very cool board and it took me a few minutes to grok the play on words with the name.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Leevibe

This is beyond cool. It looks good from every angle and it's a genius combination. I love the cleverness of the sound to light circuit and the way it works with the faceplate! It sounds really good too.

And thank you for bringing "FauxJo"into the lexicon.

jjjimi84

Unreal!! That is so cool! It sounds great, nice work.

Tremster

jimilee

Bitchin is the proper word here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

Ha! I love the contradiction as well. I've been wanting to give this circuit a try--awesome that you jumped in and made it your own!

selfdestroyer

Jason, that came out amazing! I really love the hiding of the SMD parts. Sounds great, look forward to see where this goes.

Bio77

Really cool and sounds great!  Is the bright pot connected to the two wires near the body pot?