News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I tried building a test box. It doesn't work.

Started by harryklippton, August 26, 2019, 10:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Well, the test rig works, and whatever you have hooked to it needs to be trouble shot(shooted?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

Quote from: jimilee on August 27, 2019, 05:47:06 PM
Well, the test rig works, and whatever you have hooked to it needs to be trouble shot(shooted?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two identical boards that behave the same way when connected. I'll have to check them over.

harryklippton

Ok I just learned a TON of stuff.

First, I goofed something on the circuit I was trying to test. I had 2 pots swapped on both boards I built. I just corrected one and stumbled on some other issues.

Two, the power source I was using is awful and makes everything howl. I will stop doing that to test pedals.

Three, the amp I was trying to use couldn't handle the pedal i was trying to test and was too noisy/instant feedback/ static noise

Four, my test box itself is noisy. I'm guessing this is because it's not grounded well enough.

Five, the circuit I built doesnt sound as good/loud as what its cloning. That may still be builder error though.

I'm about to correct its twin and see how it matches up.

harryklippton

Got my circuit working! There was a mistake in the build doc that left out a capacitor. I was reading the madbean tutorial in understanding pcb layouts and realized a cap was missing. I added the cap and BOOM circuit works just as expected.

Now  my test box still has an issue. When the circuit is bypassed and power is connected, its VERY NOISY. Once I engage the circuit, the noise goes away.  I tried multiple different power sources with basically the same result. What causes this?