News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Xcorcist pedal install pots

Started by Soliveira73, September 13, 2019, 10:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soliveira73

Hi, everyone.

I'm having a hard time trying to install the pots in the PCB. They are alpha 16mm angled and, before soldering, I tried to set up the pots with washers and nuts in the aluminium box. The problem is that the pots don't have a regular surface, they have like a little leg and is very hard to align them to the holes off the PCB. On the other end, they touch the solder face off the pcb., And I don't know if that is a problem or not, or if I should place anything in between.
Anyone can help me?

Govmnt_Lacky

Howdy.. welcome to the forum!

Most people just use side cutters to snip the small metal tabs off of the pot face.

Cheers!

HamSandwich

Or a pliers and bend it off.

As for the solder side, I suggest using something non conductive between the pots and the board - electric tape, cardboard, or 'pot condoms'.

Caedarn

I just started building pedals earlier this year. For my very first build, I used a Kit from Aion.  https://aionelectronics.com/  The Kit instructions were an excellent resource for someone completely new to building, and IIRC mentioned details like needing to break off the pot alignment tabs, and installing insulators between the pots and the PCB. So it might be worth checking out the Aion web site, and looking at the Kit build docs.  There's great info in them for new builders.