News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3PDT Failure

Started by benny_profane, September 17, 2019, 06:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

I've just had a 3PDT from a previous build (about a year or so old, regular but not 'strenuous' use) fail. The switch mechanism works as before (from a tactile perspective, at least), but the connection between poles 8 and 9 is no longer being made. Every other switch element behaves as expected (including the connection from 8 to 7). Is this normally how they fail? Replacement is simple and easy, but I'm a little curious about what exactly went wrong.

movinginslomo

the part supplier and source of the part. Tolerances may be off, plastic quality, etc. Cheap parts can just fail

jimilee

Quote from: benny_profane on September 17, 2019, 06:49:16 PM
I've just had a 3PDT from a previous build (about a year or so old, regular but not 'strenuous' use) fail. The switch mechanism works as before (from a tactile perspective, at least), but the connection between poles 8 and 9 is no longer being made. Every other switch element behaves as expected (including the connection from 8 to 7). Is this normally how they fail? Replacement is simple and easy, but I'm a little curious about what exactly went wrong.
Did you test it with a meter? Happened to me once, I just had to reflow pin 4. Same type situation too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: jimilee on October 02, 2019, 09:15:36 PM
Did you test it with a meter? Happened to me once, I just had to reflow pin 4. Same type situation too.

I ended up taking the 3PDT and bypass board assembly out of the box. Tested continuity on everything and determined that those two pins with the only ones without continuity. Reflowed the joints with no change. Then I removed the solder from the pins and checked for continuity; connection was back! Resoldered those pins and reflowed the rest for good measure. Rather curious, but glad it ended up working again.

I imagine that unless a pin gets disconnected from the internal mechanism, single pin pole failure seems unlikely. What is the most common way(s) that 3PDT switches end up failing? Pins breaking internally? The switch mechanism making unreliable connections? Something else?

jimilee

Mechanical, the metal would separate from the plastic. I've never seen a switch out right fail without overheating it when you're soldering the wires.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: jimilee on October 02, 2019, 09:41:00 PM
Mechanical, the metal would separate from the plastic. I've never seen a switch out right fail without overheating it when you're soldering the wires.

Gotcha. Yeah I sorta figured it either fails at install or not for a long time. That's why this seemed a little weird to me. Odd that it lasted a year+ without issue and with a joint under no mechanical stress.

jimilee

Quote from: benny_profane on October 02, 2019, 10:53:19 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 02, 2019, 09:41:00 PM

Gotcha. Yeah I sorta figured it either fails at install or not for a long time. That's why this seemed a little weird to me. Odd that it lasted a year+ without issue and with a joint under no mechanical stress.
Very true.