News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Removing enclosure painted design

Started by vicfiveleven, September 18, 2019, 10:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicfiveleven

Okay so I have an extra enclosure from a delay circuit that I modded and rehoused. This enclosure was powder coated to army green and then the manufacturer painted the labels and brand on it. I made a vero EHX Green Russian Muff PI circuit w/c will perfectly fit the enclosure, 3 knobs, 2 jacks, dc jack, footswitch. My question is, is it possible to just remove the painted label and design and not damage or take off the powder coat? Sanding here is a big nope. The powder coat finish is a matte army green and perfect for the Green Russian. What should I use? Paint remover? Acetone? Thank you in advance. 😊

matmosphere

No idea, but I'd open it up and test different things on the powder coat on the inside of the lid. If It doesn't damage the powder coat then see if it will take off the design.

My hunch is acetone might work, but I don't really know

matmosphere

Acetone might also dull the powder coat so be careful.

EBK

I'd try alcohol before I'd try acetone.

Another thing to try would be some strong-adhesive tape.  You may be able to pull the labeling off with it.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Quote from: EBK on September 19, 2019, 02:52:17 AM
I'd try alcohol before I'd try acetone.

Another thing to try would be some strong-adhesive tape.  You may be able to pull the labeling off with it.

Those are both better ideas than acetone.

DLW

Isopropyl will not harm the powder coat. I'd try that first.

Acetone will damage the powder coat finish - might not take it off completely, but it will certainly dull the finish.

vicfiveleven

Isopropyl high % worked, although it took a while and left small blemishes w/c can be fixed through light sanding.  I tried acetone on the back cover and yes you are all correct, it messed up a small area I was wiping.  Thank you all for the advice. :)