Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth Electronics Acquisition

Started by TeleCrunch, October 05, 2019, 09:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

Quote from: pickdropper on October 15, 2019, 05:34:03 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on October 15, 2019, 03:40:15 AM
And also that they wouldn't be expanding to custom drilled and painted enclosures.

This is the big gap in the market, I think.  While I prefer PPP for powder coat enclosures, their 25 box minimum is tough if you just need one or two boxes of a given size/color.

Yeah—unless someone new jumps in, it looks like hobbyist access to powder coat (beyond black/white and a few other solid colors) is gone. Tayda has powder coated enclosures in some more colors, but I'm not really sure what they're using.

pickdropper

Quote from: benny_profane on October 15, 2019, 05:48:29 AM
And also that they wouldn't be expanding to custom drilled and painted enclosures.

This is the big gap in the market, I think.  While I prefer PPP for powder coat enclosures, their 25 box minimum is tough if you just need one or two boxes of a given size/color.

Yeah—unless someone new jumps in, it looks like hobbyist access to powder coat (beyond black/white and a few other solid colors) is gone. Tayda has powder coated enclosures in some more colors, but I'm not really sure what they're using.

Yeah, the Tayda ones don't work great for me.  Their powder coat is weird.  If one doesn't laser etch, they are probably fine.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aleph Null

Quote from: pickdropper on October 15, 2019, 06:02:37 AM
Yeah, the Tayda ones don't work great for me.  Their powder coat is weird.  If one doesn't laser etch, they are probably fine.

I've had good experiences with Tayda enclosures, but I'm not doing anything fancy, just waterslides.

HamSandwich

Quote from: Muadzin on October 15, 2019, 12:16:48 AM
Quote from: HamSandwich on October 14, 2019, 09:07:19 AM
I'm going to say Not Small Bear or BLMS based on their responses over on DIYStompboxes. I think we are a thorn in the side of Mouser and Arrow. I'm going to go for an oddball - Stewmac.

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not explain as to what happened on DIYStompboxes. Not everyone goes there.

You mean everyone's daily ritual isn't wake up, coffee, puup, check DIYSB and MB forum?  ;D

alanp

Labour cost, labour cost, labour cost.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on October 15, 2019, 01:21:15 PM

Labour cost, labour cost, labour cost.

Absolutely, but most powder coaters will do lot charges per color.  I'd be a lot happier if I could split the MOQ amongst different size boxes.  I'm in the process of doing that with some local vendors, but I may have to supply the powder for the oddball colors.
Function f(x)

Caedarn

Quote from: benny_profane on October 15, 2019, 05:48:29 AM

I bought a few different color enclosures from PPP earlier this year as part of my first - and now apparently last - buy from them.  I've got a few unusual colors left, and now I'm sure I'll save these enclosures for years waiting to use them on something really really special....

benny_profane

I suppose group buys might be an option?

sjaustin

Quote from: benny_profane on October 15, 2019, 06:56:58 PM

I'd be interested to learn the details on that. Unfortunately, it's a lot less cost effective to ship out a whole group buy's worth of 125Bs than, say, pots or 3PDTs like we used to do back in the day.

benny_profane

Quote from: sjaustin on October 15, 2019, 07:54:53 PM

I'd be interested to learn the details on that. Unfortunately, it's a lot less cost effective to ship out a whole group buy's worth of 125Bs than, say, pots or 3PDTs like we used to do back in the day.

Yeah I was hesitating even posting because of that. Although, usps flat rate isn't terrible and it's perhaps the only true option.

Maybe a supplier would be willing to split up shipping if a group meets MOQ? I realize this is probably wishful thinking. It'd be nice if a powder coater could do a run of a few 'colors of the month' and take pre orders for different sized boxes during a preorder period.

All of that sorta undermines the whole point of getting out of low volume sales, though. So, who knows?

pickdropper

Quote from: benny_profane on October 15, 2019, 08:52:36 PM
Quote from: sjaustin on October 15, 2019, 07:54:53 PM

Yeah I was hesitating even posting because of that. Although, usps flat rate isn't terrible and it's perhaps the only true option.

Maybe a supplier would be willing to split up shipping if a group meets MOQ? I realize this is probably wishful thinking. It'd be nice if a powder coater could do a run of a few 'colors of the month' and take pre orders for different sized boxes during a preorder period.

All of that sorta undermines the whole point of getting out of low volume sales, though. So, who knows?

Hard to say.  I would imagine that the logistics of setting up a power coat batch are more time consuming than shipping.

OTOH, if folks buy enough, perhaps the per box savings would be sufficient to cover double shipping.  I think folks would still probably need to buy five of each color or so (just to keep things simple), but that would be a way of getting multiple colors at lower volumes and combining the purchase to get the overall box quantity up.

I don't think it's going to work if people want to buy one or two enclosures.  I think it could potentially work if people wanted to buy 20-25 enclosures in 4-5 colors, with options for common sizes (Maybe 1590A, 125B, 125BB or something like that).
Function f(x)

BuGG

Quote from: HamSandwich on October 14, 2019, 09:07:19 AMI'm going to go for an oddball - Stewmac.

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about what's going on, but I can tell you it's not Stewmac.

Axldeziak

Probably sold out to the Chinese. Someone like LCSC.

Muadzin

Quote from: HamSandwich on October 15, 2019, 10:47:31 AM
You mean everyone's daily ritual isn't wake up, coffee, puup, check DIYSB and MB forum?  ;D

I'm not a member of DIYSB, I think I am on FSB but I can't remember the last time I checked there, I check MB only when at work (to pass the time when the boss is not looking). And as I got an Axe FX I spend most forum time on the Fractal forum now these days. And also I don't like coffee. Vile tasting stuff.   :-[

jubal81

Quote from: Muadzin on October 17, 2019, 06:51:27 AM
... I got an Axe FX I spend most forum time on the Fractal forum now these days.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair