News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Accu-Bell Sound Effector Reverb Unit

Started by benny_profane, October 07, 2019, 12:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

somnif

Looks to be a DSP effect based on the V1000 - http://www.coolaudio.com/docs/V1000_DATASHEET.pdf

I don't see a ram chip on there so presumably its running the onboard effects (like the FV-1 it comes with some pre-loaded effects, or can read off an external ram).

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on October 07, 2019, 01:27:41 PM
Have you looked at the datasheet yet?
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Library/Datasheets/Belton_ABE.pdf

I took a look at the data sheet and assumed it to be a FV-1 style module, but I wasn't sure about any existing project applications and wanted to see if others had run into it yet.

somnif

Probably like the belton bricks original intention, it's mainly meant for cheap practice amps.

I imagine if one were to want to build a V1000 based pedal it would probably just be simpler to build one from the ground up (the belton brick was a bit of a special case as fitting 3 pt2399's and accessories is fairly size intensive)

benny_profane

Quote from: somnif on October 07, 2019, 01:44:51 PM
Probably like the belton bricks original intention, it's mainly meant for cheap practice amps.

I imagine if one were to want to build a V1000 based pedal it would probably just be simpler to build one from the ground up (the belton brick was a bit of a special case as fitting 3 pt2399's and accessories is fairly size intensive)

Ah okay. That all makes sense. The world of DIY reverb is somewhat narrow without DSP, so I didn't know if this would really open up new doors or not.

storyboardist

I just ordered one on a whim to mess around with. The datasheet says it's capable of 4 different effects, but nothing on how to switch between them. I suspect control is off of the GPIO1 pin, but it seems odd to control that with just a 50k pot as noted in the example schem. I'll admit I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to DSP, but I can generally get the gist of how things work. Is this a case of incomplete documentation or am I just being dense here?
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Lubdar

Not dense. I was confused by the data sheet as well. Nothing jumps out at me on how to select between the effects. The smallbear video showed some breakout testing board that I haven't seen anywhere on the Accutronics website.

Their documentation is slightly off in terms of the pins for Out1 and Out2, but i think that part is negligible.

Still not sure how to switch effects; unless of course...no it can't be...they are all running at once?!?!!?

By the gods!!! A tap temp chorus's'ing plate-reverberber!!!
(--c^.^)--c

somnif

The V1000 uses pins 5-8 as program selection (0000, 0001, 0010, etc)

If you look at the unit, there is a bullet shaped space on the board with 6 pads and 3 holes. I'm guessing that is meant for a switch attachment of some sort.

edit: Ok, so maybe that is the site on the board for programming the V1000 in situ, and not a selector site. Curioser and curiouser.....

EBK

Yes, that bullet shape area is for programming.  Specifically, it is a Tag-Connect TC2030-MCP-NL connector:

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

Quote from: EBK on October 21, 2019, 02:55:04 AM
Yes, that bullet shape area is for programming.  Specifically, it is a Tag-Connect TC2030-MCP-NL connector:

Hmm, well, the two programming pins on the V1000 are also two of the program select pins, so I suppose it could conceivably work both ways...

Would be nice if Belton themselves acknowledged the things existence, wouldn't it.

alanp

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Library/Datasheets/Belton_BTDR-2.pdf

If I'm reading this rightly, does the new unit have a better noise rating than the old brick?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Quote from: Lubdar on October 20, 2019, 07:21:59 PM
Still not sure how to switch effects; unless of course...no it can't be...they are all running at once?!?!!?

Sort of like a turd buffet? 

Carvindc125

Quote from: Lubdar on October 20, 2019, 07:21:59 PM
Not dense. I was confused by the data sheet as well. Nothing jumps out at me on how to select between the effects. The smallbear video showed some breakout testing board that I haven't seen anywhere on the Accutronics website.

Their documentation is slightly off in terms of the pins for Out1 and Out2, but i think that part is negligible.

Hello,
It is actually very simple to select programs. The selection is NOT done from binary like other DSP modules.
You simply use resistor dividers to very the voltage on GP101
Take a look at the second page here the first row of the table shows you the exact voltage you need to call the respective effect.
I would use a rotary switch and resistors to get better accuracy.
here are the voltage in respect to the effect
GP101 pin needs the following V to call each effect
Chorus = 0.0V to less than 1.0V (default effect)
Echo = At least 1.2V but no more than 2.1V
Plate Reverb At least 2.3V and no more than 3.3V

Hope this helps.
Source: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/sites/default/files/associated_files/p-r-abe.pdf