News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graphics

Started by ddj3891, October 10, 2019, 08:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddj3891

When it comes time to adding the finishing touches to my enclosure, it typically involves spray paint and stickers.  I see some of you guys have some very professional looking enclosures with nice graphics and shiny epoxy stuff going on. I'm ready to upgrade the looks of my boxes so I can show them off without having to give the disclaimer of "I know it's ugly, but wait 'till you hear it". What are some of your techniques and where can I go to learn to master the magic that you guys are using?

EBK

I suck at actually finishing anything, but for what it is worth, I've posted briefly before on how I create graphics:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28763.msg278966#msg278966
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

harryklippton

Also interested in this topic.

m-Kresol

I made an extensive tutorial about enclosure etching and finishing. It's linked in my signature and available in english and german. hope it's helpful
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

ddj3891

Awesome.  Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mjg

Also, if you see something you like in the build reports, ask for details from the builder.  Most people appreciate being asked, and will let you know the technique they used.

Lubdar

This is great! I'm coming out of pedal building slumber, and was hoping to up my graphics game as well. I'm glad I caught this thread quickly....something is in the air...
(--c^.^)--c

vicfiveleven

Putting the enclosure graphics is the part I don't like a bit.  I have used stickers, markers, mod podge, and water slide decal.  It's the decals I am having difficulties.  What I do is I print on inkjet decal (sorry, don't want to invest on laser printr). Then after ink dries I spray topcoat. After top coat dries, I cut to size and dip in warm water, then slide on to enclosure.  After drying, I cut the holes and then spray top coat again then dry.  My problem is, after drying the top coat, the lines get all wonky and wrinkle.  The decal moved or shrunk or something.  What am I doing wrong?  Did I just leave it under the sun for too long? Is the decal reacting to the type of top coat used? I've messed up two pedals but luckily the owners were okay with them.  Kinda made it unique or something. lol

EBK

You may be spraying your decals too soon after applying them (my suspicion is that your top coat is shrinking as it cures and pulling the decal with it).  Wait a full day.  Also, you might want to use a bit of vinegar in a spray bottle (or dab it on with your finger) to soften your decal right after you apply it.  It will temporarily look like you effed it up big time after the vinegar goes on, but smooth it down and it will go back to looking good.  But again, wait a day before top coating.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

vicfiveleven

I searched after reading your post and read that some will add vinegar on water where you dip the decal. Does it flatten/ go smooth by itself? Or should I flatten it myself after adding vinegar?

EBK

The vinegar (if applied directly rather than ti the soaking water) will at first make the decal seem to bubble up.  I'd gently smooth it down again, then it should stay that way.  I should add that I have only done this with laser printed decals without a top coat already on the decal.  This might not work for you (the vinegar probably won't get to the decal through your ink-protecting top coat).  Sorry.

But, you could try adding vinegar to the soak water.  Also, I add a tiny drop of dish soap to my decal soak water.  Breaks the surface tension of the water, improving the application as well.

davent

Quote from: vicfiveleven on October 29, 2019, 06:57:35 AM
Putting the enclosure graphics is the part I don't like a bit.  I have used stickers, markers, mod podge, and water slide decal.  It's the decals I am having difficulties.  What I do is I print on inkjet decal (sorry, don't want to invest on laser printr). Then after ink dries I spray topcoat. After top coat dries, I cut to size and dip in warm water, then slide on to enclosure.  After drying, I cut the holes and then spray top coat again then dry.  My problem is, after drying the top coat, the lines get all wonky and wrinkle.  The decal moved or shrunk or something.  What am I doing wrong?  Did I just leave it under the sun for too long? Is the decal reacting to the type of top coat used? I've messed up two pedals but luckily the owners were okay with them.  Kinda made it unique or something. lol

Maybe applying too much finish at one time, many mist coats with time to dry between coats rather then a couple heavy sprays and done.
dave
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

vicfiveleven

See the 1st attachment.  I used the vinegar added in warm water trick.  I don't know if it's supposed to look like that but I think I f'ed it up. :-\ It's still wet and I'm waiting for it to completely dry. The 2nd pic is just dipped in warm water then applied onto enclosure. If you look closely, you can see the wonky black line to the left.  PS, I don't sand my enclosures except for those that have deep scratches.

@ddj3891 what did you use?  How did it go?

jimilee

I'm not sure if there is a questions there, but the black line is whee the decal just shrunk a little, happens if you pull a warm enclosure out in to cooler air. I"m not sure if I see anything wrong with the first one.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

vicfiveleven

Well I'll be damned, for some reason it smoothed out by itself on the enclosure.  Whoa! Hopefully they don't wrinkle or get wobly after applying topcoat. Wow, thanks for the tips guys.

@jimilee, that's fine. That's an old build and that's what I was talking about before.