News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Graphics

Started by ddj3891, October 10, 2019, 08:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

With vinegar as a softener, there is always a temporary period of oh-shit-what-have-I-done anxiety where the decal looks like a bubbled up mess.  It has always smoothed out for me afterward.  Don't be in a hurry to topcoat it though.  Give it 24 hours for the glue to fully cure and all the moisture to really be gone.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

ddj3891

Quote from: vicfiveleven on November 14, 2019, 11:45:32 PM
See the 1st attachment.  I used the vinegar added in warm water trick.  I don't know if it's supposed to look like that but I think I f'ed it up. :- It's still wet and I'm waiting for it to completely dry. The 2nd pic is just dipped in warm water then applied onto enclosure. If you look closely, you can see the wonky black line to the left.  PS, I don't sand my enclosures except for those that have deep scratches.

@ddj3891 what did you use?  How did it go?
I used waterslide decal paper from Amazon.  I printed it and sprayed it with clear coat and let it sit for 24 hours.  I set it in warm water for a couple minutes and it slid on a stuck pretty good.  The weather is cool so I dried it with a hair drier.  I'm really pleased with the result.  I made it for a friend to go along with a marijuana themed guitar he made. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ddj3891

Quote from: vicfiveleven on November 14, 2019, 11:45:32 PM
See the 1st attachment.  I used the vinegar added in warm water trick.  I don't know if it's supposed to look like that but I think I f'ed it up. :-\ It's still wet and I'm waiting for it to completely dry. The 2nd pic is just dipped in warm water then applied onto enclosure. If you look closely, you can see the wonky black line to the left.  PS, I don't sand my enclosures except for those that have deep scratches.

@ddj3891 what did you use?  How did it go?

Also, I dig the graphics on yours.  Good job!

vicfiveleven

Thanks.  Found that picture somewhere in the internet and she looks exactly like our pet dog who passed away 2 years ago. I miss her.

Yours is cool too. Weed pedal, weed guitar.  He a reggae guitarist? hehe I like it.  That input jack it's way up near the pot.  Pcb mounted? Have you tried image transfer using mod podge?  Has anybody done it? Does yours leave a smooth finish after?  I made one last month for a friend bassist and I didn't get a smooth surface (Maybe because I only have inkjet printer). Cool thing about it is that it made it look worn, like I relic'ed it or something.  I wonder how I can get it like decal smooth..

vicfiveleven

Quote from: EBK on November 15, 2019, 07:52:56 AM
With vinegar as a softener, there is always a temporary period of oh-shit-what-have-I-done anxiety where the decal looks like a bubbled up mess.  It has always smoothed out for me afterward.  Don't be in a hurry to topcoat it though.  Give it 24 hours for the glue to fully cure and all the moisture to really be gone.

Yup, I really thought I messed it up.  Left it to dry and see if I can just relic it or something.  When I came back I noticed it smoothed itself. lol. ;D Will probably spray coat it this weekend.  And will try not to spray a lot, just 2 or 3 thin coats. Thanks!

ddj3891

Quote from: vicfiveleven on November 15, 2019, 10:56:30 AM
Thanks.  Found that picture somewhere in the internet and she looks exactly like our pet dog who passed away 2 years ago. I miss her.

Yours is cool too. Weed pedal, weed guitar.  He a reggae guitarist? hehe I like it.  That input jack it's way up near the pot.  Pcb mounted? Have you tried image transfer using mod podge?  Has anybody done it? Does yours leave a smooth finish after?  I made one last month for a friend bassist and I didn't get a smooth surface (Maybe because I only have inkjet printer). Cool thing about it is that it made it look worn, like I relic'ed it or something.  I wonder how I can get it like decal smooth..
The in/out jacks (as well as the oddly placed LED) is poor execution.  I marked the top holes after drilling the sides and had the drill guide upside down, so the jacks were too high and DC jack was on the bottom.  I repurposed the DC jack hole for the LED and had to do some maneuvering with the pots.  They are 9mm pots, so it could have been worse.  Each pedal is a learning experience.  I sprayed 5 coats of clear lacquer after the decal was set and it came out pretty smooth. 
(Note the foot facing LED in the pic.  Oops.)

EBK

Quote from: ddj3891 on November 15, 2019, 11:49:33 AM
On a marijuana-themed pedal, you could get away with an open hole there. Just saying.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

ddj3891

Quote from: EBK on November 15, 2019, 12:23:47 PM
Quote from: ddj3891 on November 15, 2019, 11:49:33 AM
On a marijuana-themed pedal, you could get away with an open hole there. Just saying.  ;)

Yeah.  The big pot leaf kinda implies a bit of slackerism.  I wish I could say I was stoned when I did it, but I haven't smoked pot in 10 years!  Just good old fashioned complacency.  I like the design, though.  It's not the best sounding pedal I've made, but it's the best looking by far.  I'll reuse it with a better circuit and make a few of them for some local guitarists in the stoner rock scene.

EBK

I was thinking it could look intentional rather than slacking.  You could even plug the hole with a vaping mouthpiece. 

ddj3891

Quote from: EBK on November 15, 2019, 12:47:40 PM
I was thinking it could look intentional rather than slacking.  You could even plug the hole with a vaping mouthpiece.
Ah, yes.  I see.  That's a cool idea!

vicfiveleven

You can try and squeeze this in there. https://www.motleymods.com/collections/box-mod-diy-kits/products/1591b-20700-green    ;D

If there's enough room for two batteries though.  Looks like the biggest part of that list.   ;D

ddj3891

Quote from: vicfiveleven on November 15, 2019, 01:08:37 PM
You can try and squeeze this in there. https://www.motleymods.com/collections/box-mod-diy-kits/products/1591b-20700-green    ;D

If there's enough room for two batteries though.  Looks like the biggest part of that list.   ;D
That would be awesome. [emoji1787] I'm a sucker for novelty.  A vape stomp box? Brilliant!

EBK

Quote from: ddj3891 on November 15, 2019, 02:30:15 PM
Quote from: vicfiveleven on November 15, 2019, 01:08:37 PM

That would be awesome. [emoji1787] I'm a sucker for novelty.  A vape stomp box? Brilliant!

Oh my. I claim no responsibility when you are handling stoned customer complaints.   ;D

Aentons

If there is an extra hole, just say it's the carburetor

vicfiveleven

Worked out pretty well.  See attachment. It smoothed out and after drying the glue for 24 hours, coated it one thin coat at a time. Going to use this method now, very effective. Thanks to you all! ;D

By the way, any one tried using mod podge for image transfer? How did it go? Is it possible to get a smooth finish like on water slide decals?