News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Let's do a live Q&A but how?

Started by madbean, October 24, 2019, 09:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I'd really like to do a live QA session at some point with youse guys. Just an open discussion with members about DIY, and not specifically about mbp (although that can certainly be part of it). With FFX, we used Skype which is fine but I don't know how many live video callers you can do with it simultaneously. Is there a preferred format for live video chat someone can recommend? Does anyone even like this idea? I've mentioned it before but also I can be very lazy about follow-through.

benny_profane

That sounds pretty awesome! Did you want to implement it on the forum itself, or are you open to other options?

Google products have a variety of ways to accomplish this (they roll out and deprecate new chat services every three days, though, it seems). That's my usual go to for collaborative meetings. There are many enterprise-level solutions—I'm not sure about what would be the best solution for a one-off session, though. A big hiccup with a lot of these things is that everyone would have to register with a new service.

matmosphere

I think it's a cool idea, although I don't know that I'd have a ton to add to the discussion personally.

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

somnif

Discord might be something to look into, it's a live group chat platform with the option for voice chat. (Used it in my WoW playing days)

jimilee

YouTube has a live video feed with chat thingy. As far as Skype goes, I think you're only limited by your bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Main thing is I want to do it with at least live voice chat, preferably video. I'll check into this stuff. Thanks!

sjaustin

Quote from: madbean on October 24, 2019, 03:47:01 PM
Main thing is I want to do it with at least live voice chat, preferably video. I'll check into this stuff. Thanks!
I was going to suggest a Reddit AMA until you said this. Might still be a cool thing to do sometime over on r/diypedals.

For video, I imagine YouTube would be your best bet, or FaceInstaBookGram, if you just want your own video and questions submitted via text. For true group chat, I think Discord or Google Hangouts.

benny_profane

Quote from: jimilee on October 24, 2019, 03:33:19 PM
YouTube has a live video feed with chat thingy. As far as Skype goes, I think you're only limited by your bandwidth.

Does this YouTube feature still work/exist? I used to use that for a book club I'm in, but I think that something changed and we weren't able to use that functionality in the past few months?

marmaliser

Why not just live stream with people posting questions in comments ? 

jimilee

Quote from: benny_profane on October 25, 2019, 06:33:05 AM

Does this YouTube feature still work/exist? I used to use that for a book club I'm in, but I think that something changed and we weren't able to use that functionality in the past few months?
I haven't used it in a really long time, so I'm not sure.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

Youtube live chats seems to be almost all many youtubers do these days. It seems to be a format that youtube pushes the creatives for and which many of them like as it means getting donations from their followers. Which after the recent adpocalypes and video demonetizations becomes all the more necessary for many youtubers.

benny_profane

Quote from: Muadzin on October 28, 2019, 04:27:03 AM

Youtube live chats seems to be almost all many youtubers do these days. It seems to be a format that youtube pushes the creatives for and which many of them like as it means getting donations from their followers. Which after the recent adpocalypes and video demonetizations becomes all the more necessary for many youtubers.

I think I used a different service. It was a way that you could make a private/unlisted live chat/group video with a saved copy. I forget what it was called, though. The method you're talking about is definitely still a thing.

jimilee

I just ran across something called talky.io on reddit. Other musicians seem to be using it, I don't know how well it works, or how it works for that matter, but it's a thing.

lars

Bring back ICQ! I remember having tons of people connected in group chats with ICQ back in the dial-up days, and it worked great with no lagging. It's still available, and works across all computer platforms (IOS, Android, PC, Web-based, MacOS, and Linux). I think there would be compatibility issues / lagging / bloated system requirements with most other options.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....