News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tweed Champ redux

Started by gordo, October 26, 2019, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I built this Tweed Champ a bazillion years ago using a chassis and some parts I picked up from Weber as seconds.  The plating was all jacked up on the front of the chassis so I thought I'd make a new face out of wood.  I made a board for it and used whatever I had kicking around for parts.  Decided to build a cabinet and went with walnut.  Trouble is I had scraps of maple and purpleheart that needed somewhere to go so included those.  And of course it needed finger joints so I picked up a jig for that.  By the end of this tale I could have probably picked up a mint 57 for cheaper.  But hey...where's the learning curve there?

Over the years I modded the crap out of it and it ended up being SO far removed from a champ that I decided to start from scratch.  Cleaned up the cabinet (which had taken a beating over the years).  I put in a baffle for a 10" WGS speaker, which is a complete game changer, I really can't say enough good things about this company.  Put together a new board for it and then wired up a few switchable options to move it from a 5E1 to a 5F1, most of which involves negative feed back and a capacitor.  The switches were easy since the chassis was looking like swiss cheese anyway.

So here it is.  The shoddy skinny wires were eventually replaced with right proper pain-in-the-a$$ push back but I was too lazy to reshoot the pics.  Also note the almost complete Marshall Arts looper on the bench behind it.

The sharpied numbers are from when I got to test out an Orange Tube tester for a day and numbered all my output and preamp tubes.  I'd easily score one of these things as they're too cool but can't really justify the price, being a weekend warrior.

I hate working in these chassis.  Just sayin'

All put back together and ready to play tomorrow's gig.  It sits atop a refurbished ClearCom box that the production crew uses.  My relatively new puppy lurks in the background.  He's graduated to getting his first dog bed tomorrow now that he's done with the goofy chewing phase.  Hates my guitar playing.

I finished the inside of the cab because I'd spent so much time getting it right.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dan.schumaker

Looks awesome Gordy!  I love the cabinet!  I can't say enough good things about WGS speakers!

I have plenty of higher watt amps I've built, but I still want to build a 5F1/5F2 for myself.

gordo

Thanks Dan. I love higher wattage amps, but think "Rocky Mountain Way" and you get a feel for these little beasts. Dead quiet with very little gain. Most of the distortion from the power tube. Kick in one of your comps or boosters...the 10" speaker pays off.
Gordy Power

Adam_DIY

That looks excellent nice job

JakeFuzz

Is that the WGS vet 10"? I have a 5F2A clone with this speaker and I agree that this speaker is incredible in this application. I had a few speakers (Jensen, Weber...) in it before that were okay but the Vet 10" was leagues ahead in terms of sound right out of the box. Great looking amp. Love the touches of maple detailing.

midwayfair

Clearer pictures of the puppy would have made this build report and A++. :)

Your woodwork gives me feelings.

gordo

Done.

Here's 12 lbs in August.

And here's 55 lbs today.

Gordy Power

nzCdog

Great build Gordo!  Love that cabinet :)

Bio77

Great build, really dig it! 

Marshall Arts

I love everything about it.... except for the purple chickenhead ;-)

The dog is awesome as well!!!! BTW: Any Progress on your Eoo3 build (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29713.msg290629#msg290629)??

gordo

Yeah, the purple chicken head was all I had at the time and I've just never changed it.  Kinda breaks the theme.  What it needs is a wood knob like the old "The Les Paul".

I just have to hunker down and finish the I/O wiring on the Eoo3.  All else is working.  It's started snowing in Chicago so I think my lawn maintenance is done for the year.  Should open up my weekends considerably.
Gordy Power