News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clari(Not) delay repeats

Started by vicfiveleven, November 03, 2019, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicfiveleven

I was wondering if I can ask for help here about a vero project. If not allowed, mods it's okay to delete my post. Anyway here goes:

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/mid-fi-electronics-clarinot.html

That's the vero layout and I built it but haven't boxed it yet.  Sounds amazing, weird.. but amazing. Although I could try and replace the LM386 chip used so I might look for something less harsher.  Anyway, I was waiting for the enclosures to arrive and all when I tested it again and noticed that the delay only had one repeat.  And then I realized, there is no repeat knob on this pedal! I watched a couple of YT vids and I knew right then that this is not how mine should sound like. SO, I just want to ask anybody to please point me to where I can look for faults/issues/mistakes on the vero layout there? Specifically the part where I can possibly check why this only gives out one repeat. I don't want to add another knob for repeats though.  The stock clari(not) is good enough for me. 

This is my first delay pedal project mind you. So I'm not that familiar with how PT2399 works. I'm a total NOOB on delays/time based effects.

And... what would you suggest for a less harsher LM386 power amp chip? I read that the 386 isn't easy for a direct swap.

Thanks in advance! :)

matmosphere

Stock it is designed to do just one repeat. So it sounds like yours is working fine.

There is some modding you can do to get more repeats if you want. None of it is to hard, but it sounds great stock.

The more useful mod imo is the fuzz lift mod that cuts out the fuzz. Only thing is you have to have something in front of it to boost the signal a little or the wonky delay thing doesn't work.

Cool pedal though. Keep at it!

vicfiveleven

Just to clarify, when I said I wanted help pointing out where to look for mistakes/issues, I didn't mean a mistake made in the layout by |v|ark.  Lol sorry I'll just rephrase that part cause it sounded like I doubted |v|ark's work.  His layouts are amazing and I've already made more than 10 pedals from his work. If he's in this forum I just want to say, thanks |v|ark!  So to rephrase, where in the layout can I check for any mistake I might have made when building the circuit.

@Matmosphere, is it really just one repeat as stock?  I recall seeing a couple videos with the delay having more repeats? If it really has just one repeat, I think I need more reading on how to add a repeat knob. If it's possible.  Is it?

matmosphere

Yeah, it isn't hard. If I recall I added a switch to go from stock to more repeats and a knob to control the number of repeats. It does get rather unruly pretty fast though.

Theres some threads on diystompboxes about mods to that pedal. And I kinda think somebody explains it in the comments on the tag board page. I can't remember how it was done, but I do remember thinking it was kind of ingenious the way it was done.

marmora

vicfiveleven

I'm definitely trying that when I get home. ;D thanks!

benny_profane

Another method is to take the feedback section from other pt2399 delays by feeding the junction of pt2399 pins 11-14 back to pins 15-16. You might need to play around with the pot/resistor values (and may have to use a SPST switch to disconnect it to preserve the single repeat); the 100n cap is there to provide some filtering. The red values are ones that I've used with good results, however, the single delay repeat of the stock build is not possible with this mod (sans SPST switch or maybe altered resistance).

EDIT: The bottom left portion of the schematic shows one possible way to implement an LFO modulation option instead of the envelope modulation of the stock build. For the purposes of adding repeats/feedback, it can be ignored.

vicfiveleven

@benny, thanks for sharing that info.  I don't know if I understood it correct but based on |v|ark's layout I need to put a wire somewhere after 1n from 2399 pin13 going to blend3. Then add 100n cap before fback1. Then after fback3 place 10k resistor then connect wire somewhere after 22K resistor coming from blend1. Don't know if I got it (obviously i didn't lol) but I want to confirm first before I try.  I still haven't tried marmora's suggestion but will try both ways and see w/c I prefer.

benny_profane

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Probably the easiest way would be to wire a 100n cap between blend lug 3 and feedback lug 1, connect feedback lugs 1 and 2, and put a 10k resistor between feedback lug 3 and the junction of the 22k/10k resistors connected to pt2399 pins 15-16 and blend lug 1. Keep in mind what I mentioned about the stock behavior, though. You may have to use a switch as well to preserve stock behavior.