News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth Electronics and powder coated enclosures

Started by ddj3891, November 07, 2019, 03:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddj3891

I was a fan of Mammoth Electronics' selection of enclosures.  They had more color options of powder coated boxes than any other resource I've used.  Does anyone know of another place that offers a selection other than black or white?

Caedarn

Tayda and Small Bear, but the colors are like the Crayola box of 8 crayons (red, yellow, blue...)

jrod

Caedarn

PPP has minimum buys now.  There's another thread in this forum called Mammoth Electronics acquisition that covers related topics

EBK

What we need are some forum members with their own powder coating setups.  I'd happily buy them the powder and some beverage of choice in exchange for the coating service.

(I really need to get off my butt and visit some local shops that powder coat wheel rims, motorcycle parts, etc.  I'm such an extreme introvert though.   ::))
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

EBK

Quote from: JoeR3155 on November 07, 2019, 04:16:01 PM
Tayda and Small Bear, but the colors are like the Crayola box of 8 crayons (red, yellow, blue...)
Plus, here is Mammoth red (left) vs. Smallbear "red" (right):

Precoated Hammond brand boxes are nice though.  I've used them on several projects.  My Twilight Zone chorus is a Hammond cobalt blue, and the three pedals I somewhat recently listed for sale were stock Hammond purple, light gray, and orange.  I'll find some links if anyone really wants me to.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on November 08, 2019, 05:26:35 AM
What we need are some forum members with their own powder coating setups.  I'd happily buy them the powder and some beverage of choice in exchange for the coating service.

(I really need to get off my butt and visit some local shops that powder coat wheel rims, motorcycle parts, etc.  I'm such an extreme introvert though.   ::))

I've started looking at local shops.  $175-200 minimum batch charges but at least you can mix enclosures sizes.  I'm not sure what the cost per box is.  They did say there would be an upcharge for any powder they don't stock (they have minimal options).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

harryklippton

Quote from: EBK on November 08, 2019, 05:26:35 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this entail? Spray gun, compressed air, a booth? I know what powder coating looks like but don't know how the process works.

EBK

From my understanding, it requires this:
High voltage spray gun to statically charge powder.
Small air compressor to propel the powder.
A very solid ground connection for the enclosure.
An oven with a good controller.
Paint powder.
Probably some chemical dips to clean and prepare the enclosure too. *shrug*

I reserve the right to be wrong as to the above items.  ;)

Caedarn

Quote from: EBK on November 08, 2019, 05:31:40 AM

Plus, here is Mammoth red (left) vs. Smallbear "red" (right):

Love the engineering paper pad.  That stuff is the best!

EBK

jimilee

Harbor freight has some small hobby powder coating guns, or did anyway, I haven't looked in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

This is Tayda red.  There's a datapol sticker on top that is ferrari red via laser printer, taken from the sample tool in PS.  I'd say it's pretty close.

EBK

Quote from: jimilee on November 08, 2019, 07:04:14 PM
Harbor freight has some small hobby powder coating guns, or did anyway, I haven't looked in a while.

This, plus an air compressor (haven't looked at those) would be good: 
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html

As for an oven, I think I would (if I had the space) buy a used electric kitchen oven (might even be able to get one for free) and put several bricks in it to act as thermal capacitors.

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on November 09, 2019, 05:18:18 AM
Quote from: jimilee on November 08, 2019, 07:04:14 PM

This, plus an air compressor (haven't looked at those) would be good: 
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html

As for an oven, I think I would (if I had the space) buy a used electric kitchen oven (might even be able to get one for free) and put several bricks in it to act as thermal capacitors.

A perfect powder coating gun for vehicles at home or the shop

I can't tell you how many times I've been in my car and needed to powder coat something....

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.