Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What could be the Depth pot in a Bi Muff style pedal

Started by JackSkellington, April 05, 2020, 05:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hello guys,
I found this pedal: https://www.electrofoods.space/oprichniki
Ii's a Big Muff style pedal for bass. It has the classic Volume, Tone and Sustain (Gain) pot, then it has Blend and Mid. A Boost pot that could be a sort of Pre-Gain, I imagine it could control the gain of the first stage, or the amount of the signal coming from another stage in front (LPB-1 style?), or whatever.
But I can't get how the Depth pot can work.
«Depth: Controls the amount of low end content that you send into the fuzzy part of the circuit to be mangled.  Turn clockwise for thick, bassy fuzz that will delight and terrify.  Counterclockwise will chill the bass out a bit, bringing forward some really cool grindiness in the mids and highs.»

How we can control the amout off the low end in a Big Muff as they say?
I'll say to begin with some easy way, and later if we need, adding extra bigger circuit parts.

Thanks! :)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

dan.schumaker

I would guess it's an input cap blend.  Look at the Focus control on a Musket.

HamSandwich

Also check out the Body (sharpness on schematic) on Skreddy's lunar module for a second way to control bass pre-fuzz.

Aentons

"content that you send into the fuzzy part of the circuit" sounds like a high pass filter to me

JackSkellington

Thank you.
I saw the Musket Fuzz.

I found the Skreddy's lunar module schematic, it's not a Big Muff, I guess, But I think I found the sort filter that could be use like a Body/Depth control.

Any alternative ideas?

diablochris6

I've never really paid attention to what the Oprichniki was, but I have made a hodge-lodge Big Muff that has the controls you are wondering about. Similar to the pedals already mentioned, I used a BMP tonestack at the beginning of the Muff to make things a little more sludgy or tight. I added an optional boost based off of the LB1 at the very beginning of the chain. On top of that, I swapped out the standard tone stack for a Colorsound Baxandall EQ. It's a pretty mean beast!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

JackSkellington

Yead, I tried the 2-band Baxandall, and I like it. I tried even a 3-band version. Nice, too. I still didn't use it with distortion circuit. I guess it will be cool with Big Muff, as well Rat, or something else. ;)