News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Use of Tantalum Caps in non-polar applications

Started by Fatknuckle, September 21, 2022, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatknuckle

Hello:

Can't remember where I heard it, but can tantalum caps be used in non-polar and/or polar roles?  As an example specifically, in the case of a PT2399 delay or chorus, can a tantalum be used for the 100n caps b/n pins 9 & 10, 11&12, or elsewhere where polarity was unspecified?  Where polarity is specified, self-explanatory.  I am getting signal passthrough, but there is a distortion effect which I think is something else entirely, but thought I'd ask the caps question.

Thx.

jimilee

Quote from: Fatknuckle on September 21, 2022, 01:57:27 PM
Hello:

Can't remember where I heard it, but can tantalum caps be used in non-polar and/or polar roles?  As an example specifically, in the case of a PT2399 delay or chorus, can a tantalum be used for the 100n caps b/n pins 9 & 10, 11&12, or elsewhere where polarity was unspecified?  Where polarity is specified, self-explanatory.  I am getting signal passthrough, but there is a distortion effect which I think is something else entirely, but thought I'd ask the caps question.

Thx.
Hi Fatknuckle. Tants are polarized. Grab an audio probe and see if you can narrow down the distortion. It may require flipping the tent around, but probe it before ou go disassembling stuff.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.