News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda still slipping...

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, November 20, 2019, 01:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Since Mammoth went out of business (for now?) it looks like Tayda is the only comparable carrier of Alpha rotary switches  :-\

The bad part is that they have been out of stock on the common types for almost a year. On top of that, they have yet to reply to any of the 3 or 4 emails I have sent regarding whether or not a restock will ever happen.

Uggg

flanagan0718

We all know how Greg feels about smallbear...wink. Greg I have a few rotary switches kicking around. What do you need? I may have it.
-Mike-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickdropper

What's wrong with Small Bear?  Just curious.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

Quote from: pickdropper on November 20, 2019, 08:38:08 PM

Typically I don't order from them...never really need to so no qualms here. I remember that Greg isn't a huge fan...I think.

mjg

They stock the Alpha rotary switches at Jaycar in Australia, but I imagine the shipping would make that pretty unattractive if you're not in Aus.

pickdropper

Quote from: flanagan0718 on November 20, 2019, 09:36:50 PM

Typically I don't order from them...never really need to so no qualms here. I remember that Greg isn't a huge fan...I think.

Interesting.  While they aren't the cheapest around, they have the best selection, ship quickly and generally keep stock of most things.  They also tend to have fewer low quality options than other pedal specific vendors.

Function f(x)

somnif

Only problem I've ever had with Smallbear was when it took just over 2 months for them to get a chip to me (I'm in the US). That was frustrating.

Govmnt_Lacky

I absolutely appreciate Steve and what he does for the DIY community. Personally, I just do not use Smallbear for a couple of reasons.

First off is price. Although he does offer a wide selection to our little world, his prices are hardly competitive. I realize he charges according to what he needs to make a profit but, in the past when I did use his services, I noticed that the higher prices did not mean a superior item.

Second is inefficiency. The few times that I did use Smallbear, I was often disappointed in their process. I deal with vendors every day for work. In today's world, latency in processing and shipment are not an excuse no matter how big or small your company is. When I would order, it would often take 2-3 days to get out the door. On one occasion, I had to send 2 emails to get it out the door over a week later. I was not impressed.

But.. like I said, if others are happy with what Smallbear provides than more power to them and I wish him success. It is just not for me.

Quote from: DLW on November 20, 2019, 01:47:33 PM
I assume you mean 4P3T and 3P4T? Small bear sells them... http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rotary-switches-1/
Mouser sells 3P4T... https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/SR2612F-0304-21R0B-D8-N?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYnqYHrQfuERsZSOUXUestgo%3D

Yes. I know they are available at these vendors however, I did mention COMPARABLE. Meaning NOT twice the price  ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: flanagan0718 on November 20, 2019, 04:38:06 PM
We all know how Greg feels about smallbear...wink. Greg I have a few rotary switches kicking around. What do you need? I may have it.
-Mike-

As always... Thanks to you Mike. I will see what I need and give you a shout  8)

flanagan0718

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 21, 2019, 07:12:33 AM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on November 20, 2019, 04:38:06 PM
-Mike-

As always... Thanks to you Mike. I will see what I need and give you a shout  8)

Please do!

Also didn't mean to turn this into a "feelings about smallbear" thread.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 21, 2019, 07:11:35 AM

I absolutely appreciate Steve and what he does for the DIY community. Personally, I just do not use Smallbear for a couple of reasons.

First off is price. Although he does offer a wide selection to our little world, his prices are hardly competitive. I realize he charges according to what he needs to make a profit but, in the past when I did use his services, I noticed that the higher prices did not mean a superior item.

Second is inefficiency. The few times that I did use Smallbear, I was often disappointed in their process. I deal with vendors every day for work. In today's world, latency in processing and shipment are not an excuse no matter how big or small your company is. When I would order, it would often take 2-3 days to get out the door. On one occasion, I had to send 2 emails to get it out the door over a week later. I was not impressed.

But.. like I said, if others are happy with what Smallbear provides than more power to them and I wish him success. It is just not for me.

Quote from: DLW on November 20, 2019, 01:47:33 PM
I assume you mean 4P3T and 3P4T? Small bear sells them... http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rotary-switches-1/
Mouser sells 3P4T... https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/SR2612F-0304-21R0B-D8-N?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYnqYHrQfuERsZSOUXUestgo%3D

Yes. I know they are available at these vendors however, I did mention COMPARABLE. Meaning NOT twice the price  ;)

I deal with vendors on many levels at work.  None of the pedal specific vendors are on the same level as tier 1 vendors such as Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, Farnell, etc.  Then again, smaller companies like Small Bear do offer options that aren't available.  The downside is that, being a small business, they often can't ship quite as efficiently.

Yeah, their pricing is a bit higher, which is tough.  I've found their parts stock is often higher quality than most pedal parts vendors.  Certainly higher than Tayda for almost everything, and sometimes higher than Mammoth was.
Function f(x)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pickdropper on November 21, 2019, 10:05:24 AM
I've found their parts stock is often higher quality than most pedal parts vendors.  Certainly higher than Tayda for almost everything...

Being quite honest... I have yet to get a "bad part" from Tayda. Granted that I do not get my ICs from them however, I have gotten transistors, switches, sockets, etc. from them and never had an issue. Luck? Possibly.

Remember that part of this OP was the communication. All emails I send get the auto-generated reply "We got your email" but there is hardly ever a follow up  to answer the actual question. That.. to me... is sub standard.

Another business that I will rave about is (B)LMS. That place is a well oiled machine! Lightning fast shipping. Quality stuff! I did find a DPDT stomp that came to me that had bad threading one single time. I contacted Lawrence and he immediately offered to replace and thanked me (didn't require the replacement as I had plenty of others) but, that is what sets the bar for me. Great product. Great CS. Great shipping.

Mind you that I am not an 'industry.' I build for myself and sell occasionally so, my orders are not in the quantity of hundreds.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 21, 2019, 11:41:45 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 21, 2019, 10:05:24 AM
I've found their parts stock is often higher quality than most pedal parts vendors.  Certainly higher than Tayda for almost everything...

Being quite honest... I have yet to get a "bad part" from Tayda. Granted that I do not get my ICs from them however, I have gotten transistors, switches, sockets, etc. from them and never had an issue. Luck? Possibly.

Remember that part of this OP was the communication. All emails I send get the auto-generated reply "We got your email" but there is hardly ever a follow up  to answer the actual question. That.. to me... is sub standard.

Another business that I will rave about is (B)LMS. That place is a well oiled machine! Lightning fast shipping. Quality stuff! I did find a DPDT stomp that came to me that had bad threading one single time. I contacted Lawrence and he immediately offered to replace and thanked me (didn't require the replacement as I had plenty of others) but, that is what sets the bar for me. Great product. Great CS. Great shipping.

Mind you that I am not an 'industry.' I build for myself and sell occasionally so, my orders are not in the quantity of hundreds.

Tayda can be great for trying things out and seeing if you like them.  They tend to source things from all over the place so quality can be hit or miss.  IMHO, a lot of their hardware has no business on anything that will ever be sold.  If it's DIY, who cares, but a lot of it just isn't well made.  It may work fine in the beginning, but much isn't as well made as other options.  Things like resistors are probably safe, and things like enclosures are sort of hard to screw up (although their powder coat is strange).  Other things like pots, seem to be just fine.  It's hit or miss.

I occasionally will grab parts to goof around with from Tayda, but I find it confusing that so many defend their quality.  Much of it is truly inferior.

The LMS are cool folks.  I haven't ordered much from them, but they have some name brand, quality merchandise.  And I'm curious about some of the other stuff.  I'm going to order some and give it a shot.
Function f(x)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pickdropper on November 21, 2019, 06:36:22 PM
I occasionally will grab parts to goof around with from Tayda, but I find it confusing that so many defend their quality.  Much of it is truly inferior.

Just out of curiosity... and to keep the good conversation going... what items from Tayda do you believe are inferior? (Other than ICs and transistors which have been reported here and there as faulty from just about every other distributor that we deal with in the DIY world)