News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Screen Print Trials - Church Rat

Started by mcasemo, November 20, 2019, 08:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasemo

I did a couple of screens for t-shirts that worked out and wanted to try to do some enclosures after seeing some successes posted here (Jacquard ink).  I have one graphic (waterslide) that i thought would be good for screen printing, so I tried to modify the graphic to make the text more obvious and such, anyway, here are the results.   I scuff/brush the surface to get a brushed/bright textured look.   Lessons learned are to widen the text much more, figure out how to center/align better, use the right size squeegee.....    They came out pretty good, just need to clearcoat next and see if I can make the actual pedal :) .

I made the little fixture with MDF and a jig saw, and originally tried to use the enclosure back as a way to restrain the enclosure during printing, but it slid too much and made the graphic placement too unpredictable.   so moved to a spring loaded restraint, then had to shim to get to right height.

waterslide graphic here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22138.msg217945#msg217945

jimilee

That looks awesome. I know nothing about screen printing, how did you make the mask with the design on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Looking good!!

I used to screen print my pedals but I threw in the towel on it because it was so hard for me to get consistent results. When it was working right I got incredible detail when it wasn't I got incredible frustration.

Good on you for getting it working. My setup used a 280 mesh aluminum frame screen and inktek gloss enamel at full viscosity. I don't remember the off contact spacing etc but if you're patient you can get stunning results.

mcasemo

jimi - you fill a silk screen with photo emulsion and let it dry in the dark, then put your graphic mask over the green emulsion and expose it to light.   everywhere light hits, it cures the photo emulsion, and the stuff under the black graphic mask can be washed away, creating the mask.

Lee - i hear you on the frustration, I'm just going to pick graphics that are forgiving where the defects look like they are planned (you start noticing this is t-shirt graphics after doing this).   Just going to scratch this itch until they make an affordable laser etcher that will go through aluminum.    280 dpi is pretty dense, do you have any posts of you work here?   I can't figure out how to search someone's posts for keywords.

jimilee

Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I did a decent amount of screen printing years ago. I even went as far as trying to work at a screen Pringle's shop to try and learn stuff. It was a sheatshop, there was nothing to learn other than feeling bad for the people who do that job.

Peeping the artwork is the real key. You have to be careful about the limitations of line thickness because of the screen but also because of the thickness of the ink. To small a line and no ink will make it through. Turning artwork into a halftone and being aware what dot size to use is a really good option for fine detail.

My advice for anyone who really wants to do this is find a printmaking night class at a local community college and take it. You'll learn a lot and make some cool stuff.

Dminner

That looks great. I got into screen recently. I started with Jacquard ink too. THEN, someone turned me onto system 3 acrylic paint and print medium. Mix any color you want, add around 40/60 paint/medium and screen away. Create any color, drys quick. Completely compatible with spray can clears. I really recommend giving it a try. I am able the clear it around an hour after screening it.

mcasemo

oh, cool.   i'll definitely check that out.  my daughter is just getting into painting, so would be a good way to get dual use out of the acrylic paint.

Leevibe

Quote from: mcasemo on November 21, 2019, 04:13:21 PM
Lee - i hear you on the frustration, I'm just going to pick graphics that are forgiving where the defects look like they are planned (you start noticing this is t-shirt graphics after doing this).   Just going to scratch this itch until they make an affordable laser etcher that will go through aluminum.    280 dpi is pretty dense, do you have any posts of you work here?   I can't figure out how to search someone's posts for keywords.

Sorry. Been busy with other stuff and haven't been by here much lately. Here's a pic of a couple pedals on my board from the stuff I used to make. As you can see, good detail is definitely possible.