News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Choral Reef 14k3 resistors

Started by chongmagic, November 25, 2019, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chongmagic

Can you sub 15k for these or do they need to be exact?

madbean

somnif

The bigger thing is that the four resistors are very close in value. EHX used to do the same trick, the extra decimal means an extra degree of precision in production, so useful if a resistor has a really critical value.

In this case, they're being used as signal dividers, so the Mix knob will only truly be 50/50 in the middle if all 4 resistors are precisely the same value. If any of the 4 are off, an even split would be a little left or right of noon on the dial.

If the thought of that bothers you, then meter your resistors and use the 4 closest to one another. If you don't mind playing it by ear, then don't worry about it.

chongmagic

Good thing I got a good deal on those cheap resistor packs from Amazon, I know they'll be spot on. JK

madbean

Quote from: somnif on November 25, 2019, 05:33:07 PM
The bigger thing is that the four resistors are very close in value. EHX used to do the same trick, the extra decimal means an extra degree of precision in production, so useful if a resistor has a really critical value.

In this case, they're being used as signal dividers, so the Mix knob will only truly be 50/50 in the middle if all 4 resistors are precisely the same value. If any of the 4 are off, an even split would be a little left or right of noon on the dial.

If the thought of that bothers you, then meter your resistors and use the 4 closest to one another. If you don't mind playing it by ear, then don't worry about it.

I wonder how much actual precision there is in terms of linearity across the physical wafer of these pots. IOW, is 50% of the turn actually accurate to 50% of the pot's resistance? I tend to think not too much! But, I've never actually looked into it.

benny_profane

Any precision (which I doubt there is) would be lost when installing the knob/using the indicator line anyway I'd imagine.

chongmagic

I always measure each component with my DMM before I install it, a habit I guess. My 1% resistors from Small Bear have never let me down thus far.