News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle vs Diptrace

Started by jkokura, November 29, 2019, 04:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Hey guys. I am looking for help with understanding some of the differences between Eagle and Diptrace. It used to be the only resource for PCB making on a Mac was Eagle, so I've only ever used Eagle. Now I see that Diptrace has a Mac version, yay! I love using Eagle, and I'm good with how it works. I'm known for having some Eagle tutorials out there, and I'm glad I've helped so many. However, I've been stuck using an ancient license and limited to the 100x80mm board size. A couple of my clients might want me to make larger boards. So here's a few questions I have.

- Does diptrace really only care about pin numbers? I can have a really large board, but as long as I stay within the pin count I'm fine?
- How intuitive is it to switch over? Am I gonna struggle to export my Gerbers and images for my Build Docs, or is it pretty much the same?
- How is it to import/use my old Eagle Libraries?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gordo

The subscription license isn't that bad for the board size is it?  I haven't pushed the limit on board size.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

imjonwain

I use and like Eagle but am slowing moving toward KiCad.  Diptrace to me seems like a company likely to disappear at some point.
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

alanp

The very close connection between the schematic and board files are part of what I like in Eagle. I haven't seen anything even close in any of the free software.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Lubdar

I don't think anything is wrong with using both for whatever situation works best.

I have been using Diptrace for the past 5 years.  I am probably going to shift towards eagle once I can a lot time to watch Jacob's tutorials....

I have never tried to see just how large of a board I could make. However, with the trial version I have hit the pin count.  But if you get creative with how you set up your schematic "Across boards"

(--c^.^)--c

imjonwain

I think Diptrace will also give free or discounted licenses to hobbyists who don't profit on a case by case basis if you email them.
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

BuGG

Quote from: jkokura on November 29, 2019, 04:49:20 PM
- Does diptrace really only care about pin numbers? I can have a really large board, but as long as I stay within the pin count I'm fine?
Yep.   The free version has a 300 pin limit, non-profit has a 500 pin limit.

- How intuitive is it to switch over? Am I gonna struggle to export my Gerbers and images for my Build Docs, or is it pretty much the same?
I never could bond with Eagle...  DipTrace just behaves more like modern software should in my opinion.
Once you set your Gerber configuration (I can send you a screenshot if you need it) it's just a couple clicks to export Gerbers...  File > Export > Gerber / Export All, then File > Export > N/C Drill / Export All.   Zip up the files it produces and you're ready to go.

Images for build docs are just as easy.. File / Preview if you want a 2D raster of the board, or click the 3D button if you want a 3D render. (or VRML output)

- How is it to import/use my old Eagle Libraries?

Relatively simple.    There is an Eagle script to export the libraries in Eagle .scr format, DipTrace supports importing the .scr format.
You might have to go through afterwards and rename some pins just for convenience sake.

Quote from: imjonwain on November 29, 2019, 08:52:38 PM
I use and like Eagle but am slowing moving toward KiCad.  Diptrace to me seems like a company likely to disappear at some point.

I'm all for open source and would love to adapt to KiCad, but it just feels so clunky to me.     I agree DipTrace isn't produced by a company as big as Autodesk, but it's been around for 17 years, and Eagle has already been sold once.    Who knows what Autodesk has planned for the future of Eagle?   Subscription-based pricing is a huge turn off for me as well...  :-\

The Eagle + Fusion 360 integration is pretty cool, but realistically there are only a few enclosure sizes that I use so it's not all that useful in the long run.
I have to admit, I do like the appearance of schematics exported from Eagle better than DipTrace though.

I'm seriously jealous of that Interactive BOM feature for KiCad that selfdestroyer posted.