News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JST connectors

Started by Aentons, December 05, 2019, 07:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Any recommendations on small JST type connectors?
I'm looking to streamline the connections on a modular multi-pedal type thing. Footswitch, Power and audio jacks stay connected to the enclosure, while the main board is interchangeable.

gtr2

You could use something like the Eurorack world uses.
I've used these on some projects.  The cables are super easy to make or buy.  You can get ones with fewer pins but this is what I grabbed from my parts library.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=30316-6002HB
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

I like the small Hirose style connectors as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBK

If I locate my crimping tool, I am thinking about giving it away with this connector set for this year's yet-to-be-announced PIF party.  Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but hopefully someone will be excited to receive it.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

I have been kicking an idea like this around for a bit now. As a low cost way to see how it works I have actually been considering using standard dip sockets with some jumpers like the ones below. Mostly because I already have this stuff on hand.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/premium-jumper-wires-male-male-200mm-pack-of-40.html

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/3-pin-dip-sip-ic-sockets-adaptor-solder-type-single-row.html

I think female to female jumpers with male header pins would ultimately be a better cheap solution. But it's just a test for the moment.

My plan was to make some kind of switch, and jack box with output for 9v, 12v, and 18v. then build some kind of simple panel system for individual pedals so I could quickly swap stuff in and out. Kinda like eurorack for guitar. But to be fair the it's really just an excuse to make some stuff with my 3d printer instead of buying a bunch of hammond enclosures, because half of what I make never makes it onto the pedal board.

matmosphere

Quote from: EBK on December 06, 2019, 04:47:15 AM
If I locate my crimping tool, I am thinking about giving it away with this connector set for this year's yet-to-be-announced PIF party.  Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but hopefully someone will be excited to receive it.

Doesn't that go against your solder paste endorsement? Quick hid it from Oatley!

Aentons

Quote from: gtr2 on December 06, 2019, 04:14:18 AM
You could use something like the Eurorack world uses.

Yep, I'm basically going for a Eurorack pedalboard (I think they call the low profile types a "skif") where basically everything is somewhat modular. I've looked at the Eurorack stuff and those type connectors are only used for power. I'd want to be able to drop in preexisting boards so I'd need something that can do single row 2 and 3 pin for sure.

Quote from: pickdropper on December 06, 2019, 04:30:02 AM
I like the small Hirose style connectors as well.
I did a search for hirose and (like jst) there seem to be quite a few different styles so I'll have to do a little research.

Quote from: EBK on December 06, 2019, 04:47:15 AM
That looks pretty much like what I need. Do those stay connected well? Since its a floor stomp type sitiation, I'm worried about them wiggling loose over time.

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 06, 2019, 04:53:24 AM
I have been kicking an idea like this around for a bit now. As a low cost way to see how it works I have actually been considering using standard dip sockets with some jumpers like the ones below. Mostly because I already have this stuff on hand.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/premium-jumper-wires-male-male-200mm-pack-of-40.html

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/3-pin-dip-sip-ic-sockets-adaptor-solder-type-single-row.html

I think female to female jumpers with male header pins would ultimately be a better cheap solution. But it's just a test for the moment.

My plan was to make some kind of switch, and jack box with output for 9v, 12v, and 18v. then build some kind of simple panel system for individual pedals so I could quickly swap stuff in and out. Kinda like eurorack for guitar. But to be fair the it's really just an excuse to make some stuff with my 3d printer instead of buying a bunch of hammond enclosures, because half of what I make never makes it onto the pedal board.

Great minds think alike :)
As a first run test, I have already done a triple pedal in a hammond enclosure with wire in socket type connections for everything, which led me to this. I think a 72HP aluminum skif type enclosure with rails and power distribution is the next step. I have been considering a 2U+1U split row type thing where the footswitches are on a different row as the audio, but I'll most likely keep it simple with a regular 3U where the footswitch is on the same faceplate as the audio board.

Thus far, I only have experience with simple headers and sockets, so thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

EBK

The connectors I've shown essentially turn wires into a standard female header.  They mate with standard male pin headers, without any additional locking mechanism.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber