News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Man o' War Deluxe

Started by gordo, December 07, 2019, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I swear off analog delays every time I build one.  I'm just a fan of pristine digital and in a live situation especially it just works better.  The MoW boards come around and I think "na...I'm done with it..."

Needless to say that lasted about 5 minutes and of course being the gear hog that I am I added it to the cart and had Paypal do the dirty deed.  It arrived, and following the thread on the mod switch tweak I got it together and had a flashback to the fix I did on the Aquaboy when I got some nasty distortion coming off of the NE570.  I dropped C11 to 150n, which cleaned things up considerably.  Got the whole thing dialed in and...damned if this doesn't sound terrific.  I didn't have the right LDR so went with a VTL5C3 as a stand in.  I don't think I'll be replacing it, the mod sound is very tasty.

The tails switch is the deal breaker for me.  I can easily see using this thing in a live setting, especially for pad/ambient type stuff where pristine digital is sometimes TOO pristine.  Dialing back the 570 a bit kept the top end in but reduced the low end thump/distortion to a nice bit of grit if I really pound on the strings.

Now that I'm committed to using it I figure I'll try an etched PCB for the control panel and come up with some cooler knobs.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Nice, I do love a good delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Epic build! Very well done all around! 8)
Nice touch with the countersunk LEDs and I agree some cooler knobbies would set it off even better...
BigNoise Amplification

Adam_DIY

Nice I need to build one of these