News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gray Wolfe Distortion (VFE Alpha Dog)

Started by Timko, December 15, 2019, 06:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

My Blueshift build has been giving me fits, so I took a break this weeekend to finish the enclosure for this. A friend asked me to build something for his sister for Christmas. He couldn't tell me anything about the music she plays or the instruments she has, so I decided to go with an LM308 build since that's my favorite distortion. It's also the first VFE build I've done, and I'm really excited to finish the other two I bought (a co press or and a Klon). It's also the first time I've worked with a 1590B enclosure in nearly 2 years. It was fun to revisit something smaller than my tropical work.

Sound wise this thing is incredible. There's so many tonal options from the classic Rat sound to something modern and heavy. There's rven this cool octave thing I found if I turn the gain down and use the 1n34 soft clipping.

After searching everywhere for 10K-C 9mm pots, I found them at Mouser. They have a long shaft so I attempted to use a Dremel to cut it to length. Next time I'll use a music lower setting because it melted the plastic knob at an angle.  It's still functional though.

The graphic is simple but looks good on the small box. I'm a big Tom Wolfe fan (journalist and author) so I put that in there as well.

cooder

Nice and metal can mojo... Top notch Xmas prezzie!
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

Very nice work and metal can for the win.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?