News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MIDI question

Started by Ricotjuh, December 13, 2019, 01:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricotjuh

I am completely new to the MIDI protocol, but I want to use it to switch my amplifiers and pedals. My pedals are then placed in a 19" rack and I only have my MIDI controller on the floor.
Now I have a Kitty Hawk foot controller, a Nobels ms-8 MIDI replay switcher and a DIY midi switcher from JimKim. But what strikes me now is that the program numbers do not match the number on my foot controller. For example, if I press switch 5, it will neatly read "05" on my foot controller. But on my receiver it indicates program "06". I have the idea that my foot controller counts from 0-127 (actually only from 0-99 since I only have 2 digits), because I can also set program "00". But my receivers count from 1-128. Can this just be true? And can this be changed?? My autistic brain would like to see 2 identical numbers: :)

gordo

Watching this as I'm a relative MIDI noob although I was using JMK/THcustom's controller to run my Yamaha acoustic stomp.  I step away from it for a few months though and I go brain dead
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

rockola

Quote from: Ricotjuh on December 13, 2019, 01:43:20 PM
I have the idea that my foot controller counts from 0-127 (actually only from 0-99 since I only have 2 digits), because I can also set program "00". But my receivers count from 1-128. Can this just be true? And can this be changed?? My autistic brain would like to see 2 identical numbers: :)
The Program Change message contains an 8-bit number in which the most significant bit is 0, so the payload can have numbers between 0 and 127. There is a way to send "program change to 128", with two MIDI messages (Bank Select + Program Change).  If your receiver is showing numbers between 1 and 128 it means that a) this particular device interprets these messages with a +1 offset or b) the foot controller is sending with a +1 offset, including a Bank Select for patch #128. I would assume a) is the case. Connecting the foot controller to a computer running software that can show the raw MIDI data (e.g. most if not all DAWs) would clarify this if you absolutely need to know.