News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top Albums of 2011

Started by Smeero, November 12, 2011, 06:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeero

OK so as the year comes to a close, what were your favorite albums of the year? (sure there's a little more time for albums like the Black Keys that haven't dropped, but you can always add anything awesome that drops the last month and a half.) Here's mine:

Portugal. The Man - In the Mountain in the Cloud (you can select all the songs in the youtube)

Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest

TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light

Eddie Roberts and THe Fire Eaters - Burn!

Feist - Metals

Theophilus London -  TImez are Weird these Days (usually not big on hip hop, but this album is fantastic!)

Mastodon - The Hunter

Charles Bradley - No Time for Dreaming

Galactic - the Other side of Midnight (best Live)
http://soundcloud.com/antirecords/sets/galactic-the-other-side-of

jtn191

+1 on Charles Bradley. I think he should get a Grammy.
I love the vibe of Feist's stuff

Wilco's The Whole Love is the only thing I've really had on repeat this semester/had a big influence on me

I'm gonna go ahead and include Bon Iver-Bon Iver...feel good music
My friends are in this band http://titanrock.bandcamp.com/track/whales-are-heavy-especially-during-the-daytime

Smeero

Quote from: jtn191 on November 12, 2011, 08:42:12 PM
+1 on Charles Bradley. I think he should get a Grammy.
I love the vibe of Feist's stuff

Wilco's The Whole Love is the only thing I've really had on repeat this semester/had a big influence on me
I'm gonna go ahead and include Bon Iver-Iver...feel good music

Wilco reminded me of another 2011 fave
jc brooks and the uptown sound -Want More
has this wilco cover on it (buds with the band):

timbo_93631

My buddy Daren's band is doing some great stuff:

And Two Door Cinema Club has a lot of nice tunes on this album:
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

petesz

I've been listening mostly to old tunes this year.. nothing has really intrigued me. But here is some of the new albums i think are worth checking out. Ive chosen the lesser known songs on the albums that i think are awesome:

Bon Iver - Bon Iver: More production heavy than previous albums, but still good. This is the last song on the album, a different style for Bon Iver but i think they pull it off.

Title Fight - Shed : Raw hardcore, not game changing but worth a listen if you are into punk/hardcore.

Fucked Up  - David Comes to Life: An excellent "concept" album, really unusual dynamic for a punk band with awesome melodic parts and raw as hel vocals.

Graveyard - Hisingen Blues: Bluesy, stoner-rock vibe. I was looking for a current band like this for ages and these guys fit the bill. This song (The Siren) has such a great build up.

Mutemath - Odd Soul: I was into the last album from these guys but this one is even better, love the drumming.

My Morning Jacket - Circuital: I have to say i prefer Evil Urges but this album has a couple standouts, including this really beautiful/feel-good track.

jubal81

Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to checking them out when I get home.

Here's what I've been listening to lately:

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lincolnic

St. Vincent's "Strange Mercy" is pretty much at the top of the list for me. I don't know how to embed videos here, but: http://youtu.be/3iOniCjeCjE

crash

Just bought this album off Amazon yesterday.

petesz

jeez that Feist album is good! thanks for the tip!

plesur

Here's one of the best bands I've seen live this year, Wolf People playing live on Dutch TV:

http://vimeo.com/19251078

Their album Steeple isn't half bad either.

jtn191

I almost forgot Stephen Malkmus' Mirror Traffic. It's kind of a niche and I'm a malkmus fan...but this one was refreshing

bigmufffuzzwizz

Some stuff I've been listening to  :)

Here's a cool promo for the two albums Boris released this year...They are becoming more and more experimental but the new Heavy Rocks is killin it!! Just saw them 10 days ago..I was at the stage right in front of wata..epic!!

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Matt Gnarly

A few of my favourites of 2011:

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Japanther - Beets, Limes and Rice

Shotgun Jimmie - Transistor Sister

Old Man Markley - Guts n' Teeth

Smeero

The Bo Keys - Got to Get Back

Smeero