News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder

Started by ddj3891, December 16, 2019, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddj3891

I got a spool of Worthington 97/3 Rosin Core solder and have been using it for a long time.  I've always had problems getting solder to stick.  I just assumed my technique was bad.  (to be fair, it probably kind of is)  I recently built a project from a kit that came with a small roll of solder and it worked beautifully.  I've never had a board look so good.  My question is, what kind of solder do you guys use?  Also, is there a reason the stuff I was using before refuses to cooperate so often? 

juansolo

Warton Metals Autosol RA Alloy No. 1. Solder content: 50% tin, 1.4% copper, 48.6% lead. Needless to say, that's not ROHS compliant. But as long as you're not selling your stuff commercially, no need to use the lead free shit.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

EBK

I use:
Kester 24-6337-0027 Solder Roll, Core Size 66, 63/37 Alloy, 0.031" Diameter

63/37 is a eutectic alloy that makes soldering much easier than, say 60/40.  I don't have any experience with 97/3.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on December 16, 2019, 04:52:37 PM
I use:

63/37 is a eutectic alloy that makes soldering much easier than, say 60/40.  I don't have any experience with 97/3.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

Lead Free solder is a nightmare under optimal conditions, I would suggest avoiding it unless you have a damn good reason to have to use it.

I personally use Kester 245 63/37 no-clean. Bought a 1 pound roll 4 years ago and I still have most of it left. Was about 25$ and works for 99% of the stuff I do (its a wee bit too thick for surface mount stuff, but i only do that when a bout of lunacy takes me).

edit: Link to the stuff https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6337-8800-Activated-Solder-No-Clean/dp/B00068IJOU/ref=sr_1_1

davent

I have a roll of Kester 245 - 63/37 and a roll of MG Chemicals 63/37 and prefer it to the Kester.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

I use 60/40, no problems, ever.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Lead solder. It's in all that 70-year-old stuff that is still working.
Lead-free solder. It's in all that 3-year-old stuff you see in the dumpster. Yeah. RoHS is "saving" the environment. The oceans are full of plastic...not lead.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

juansolo

Quote from: lars on December 18, 2019, 10:20:38 PM
Lead solder. It's in all that 70-year-old stuff that is still working.
Lead-free solder. It's in all that 3-year-old stuff you see in the dumpster. Yeah. RoHS is "saving" the environment. The oceans are full of plastic...not lead.

Yep, with knobs on.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: jimilee on December 16, 2019, 05:08:28 PM
Quote from: EBK on December 16, 2019, 04:52:37 PM
I use:

+1

+2

Lead free will lead someone to drink and if you already drink you will become an addict.
John

EBK

It's not that lead-free solder is bad.  It just eats your soldering iron tip very quickly, produces joints that always look "cold", and feels like someone mixed your solder with sand.  Some people love it!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

juansolo

Quote from: EBK on December 19, 2019, 09:08:14 PM
It's not that lead-free solder is bad.  It just eats your soldering iron tip very quickly, produces joints that always look "cold", and feels like someone mixed your solder with sand.  Some people love it!

Yeah, the same sort of people who think the 'L' in solder is silent for some reason...

;)

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.