Main Menu

Wavelord 1P8T from Smallbear NOT continuous

Started by dawson, December 17, 2019, 02:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Greetings, fellow noise enthusiasts!

This post is regarding Smallbear's 1P8T enclosed miniature rotary switches:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rotary-switch-miniature-1p8t/

I've just received a couple of these in the mail, however the ones that I got do NOT turn continuously from 8-1 as stated in the MBP Wavelord build document.  Do I need to alter the switch in order for it to function continuously?  Did I buy the wrong thing?  Do I need to crank the poor guy around real-good to make it submit?

Any input would be appreciated!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Did you remove the washer that stops it from turning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on December 17, 2019, 02:54:29 PM

These don't have a washer, AFAIK. The ones I have are continuous but I did not get them from smallbear - actually, I requested they carry these last year so I assumed they were the same ones. However, it should be fine. They appear to be exactly the same otherwise. The order of the waveforms won't change.

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on December 17, 2019, 04:22:44 PM

These don't have a washer, AFAIK. The ones I have are continuous but I did not get them from smallbear - actually, I requested they carry these last year so I assumed they were the same ones. However, it should be fine. They appear to be exactly the same otherwise. The order of the waveforms won't change.

Where did you get the continuous rotaries?

dawson

Thank you all for your input- I believe that the switch I got will work perfectly and sound great, however, the knowledge that a continuous rotary switch exists and I haven't got one fills me with a searing jealousy!

At the end of the day though, if there's anyone who deserves to have cooler switches than everyone else..I believe it's BEAN.

madbean

Quote from: benny_profane on December 17, 2019, 05:25:43 PM

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2925

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on December 17, 2019, 05:56:55 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on December 17, 2019, 05:25:43 PM

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2925

Very cool. Thanks! Did yours come with the quarter like the picture?

dawson

To wrap up this thread, here's the layout of the waveforms for anyone who's got a rotary switch like mine:

Just like the build report says: "When attaching your knob to the switch, first rotate it" completely counter-clockwise "then screw the knob in facing straight up."

My WaveLord build report here:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30572.msg295016;boardseen#new

madbean

I should add a note in the build doc about the different switches. I don't want anyone putting artwork with the different waveforms only to have them not line up. In fact, I did this very thing when I first prototyped it (but because I wasn't paying attention)!

It is kinda strange that there are two versions of this rotary. Actually, I think I would prefer the version that stops anyway. I just have a lot of the other kind.

wstimson

I got the same switch from Smallbear for the Wavelord and mine also does not rotate all the way around continuously.  It still works just fine, but it took a bit to figure out which waves are which.  :)  I also spent a long time wondering if I ordered the wrong thing or was doing something wrong... glad it's not just me.  :)