News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby - rock before you box question

Started by dannoceti, February 15, 2015, 06:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannoceti

I built the dirtbaby today and wanted to test it before I boxed it up.  I tried to use chromesphere's diagram by soldering some leads and using alligator clips. I soldered a lead to the tip input, tip output, and 9v + and 9v -. I clipped it all up based on the diagram below, but it just made a buzzing sound.

Do I need to solder in the 3pdt switch in order to test the dirtbaby? Also I haven't added the spdt switch yet because I ordered solder lug by accident. I thought it might work without it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m-Kresol

I think you should do the following:
*) connect the IN and OUTPUTs to the in and out of the circuit, meaning to the send-return on Brian's layout. This layout obviously has solder pins for the jacks too, but I think you need the in-out of the actual circuit.
*) Buzzing/humming is most likely because you didn't ground the sleeves on your in/out jacks
*) No idea if the dirtbaby would work without the SPDT toggle...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

dannoceti

Thanks for the input! I tried attaching to the send and return but had the same results. For some reason I think the stomp switched needs to be wired in to test it. Maybe Madbean will chime in.

m-Kresol

Quote from: dannoceti on February 15, 2015, 05:02:38 PM
Thanks for the input! I tried attaching to the send and return but had the same results. For some reason I think the stomp switched needs to be wired in to test it. Maybe Madbean will chime in.

Since you wired the pedal true bypass, you wouldn't need the stomp solder in. Did you ground your sleeves on in and output? If not, that would result in ground buzz, yet you should still hear an effect.
I took a look at the schematic and (I might be wrong here) I think the effect should work without the toggle. The modulation should have more of a sawtooth motion than a sine wave. You could always try hard wiring the middle lug with one of the outer lugs of the switch for testing the effect, jsut to make sure.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

Luke51411

I'm not sure if you need the cv switch, I think it just effects the lfo so you might not have modulation. If anything you should at least get dry signal. The input and output you have connected are only being sent to the bottom pads for connecting to the stomp, they are not the in/out of the circuit. As m-Kresol said if you connect the in jack to the send pad and the out jack to the return pad, you should be able to rock it.

dannoceti

I'll try to wire in the leads to the send and return now. Is connecting the (-) of the 9v battery to the sleeves of both jacks and the (-) of the 9v pad on the board enough to ground it?

m-Kresol

Quote from: dannoceti on February 15, 2015, 05:49:24 PM
I'll try to wire in the leads to the send and return now. Is connecting the (-) of the 9v battery to the sleeves of both jacks and the (-) of the 9v pad on the board enough to ground it?

yes, connecting the - of the battery to your sleeves is good

dannoceti

Thx for your help! Got it working and it sounds awesome. Also it works without the spdt switch.