News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Grey Box Caps??

Started by Bio77, December 28, 2019, 11:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Populating a board, and realized I don't have enough 82nF caps.  I do have a bag of Tayda 82nF caps, I bought a couple of years ago. 

The manufacturer, according to Tayda, is Acutronics, which I learned from the inter-web is Kemet.  Does anyone have experience/opinion of these caps?  They are battleship grey with few markings.

The pedal I'm building is an overdrive that I want to sound right. I'm might order some Topmay caps from Small Bear, but don't know these either. Opinions appreciated!

chongmagic

I have used quite a few of those when an odd value comes up. I always measure my components with a DMM to double check before I install them and they have been pretty good. I haven't experienced any issues with them. I say as long as they measure the correct value you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

somnif

I've used them in most of my builds over the years without issue. Granted I'm a bedroom player, so not exactly a robust test of the rigors of stage life.

Bio77

Thanks for the input.  I always go down this rabbit hole with caps. I'm not convinced any of them sound different, but there is so much effort into building a pedal that I don't want to risk it. 

Aentons

I don't wanna hijack the thread, but now I have the burning question of... other than tolerance, just how would a subpar film cap present itself?

chongmagic

It would be that one who hung out at dockside bars, and always ended up sleeping on your couch

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bio77

Quote from: Aentons on December 29, 2019, 04:24:44 PM
I don't wanna hijack the thread, but now I have the burning question of... other than tolerance, just how would a subpar film cap present itself?

I'm curious too.  I know ESR is something that can be measured, not sure it's important for audio signal. 

lars

Most humans don't have the ability to hear the difference. But there are those very special audiophiles that have hybrid cat-hearing that can tell the difference at around 50 kilohertz. So many dissonant harmonics up there...I spilled my wine!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

pickdropper

It wasn't in a guitar pedal application, but I had an amplifier that had too much DC offset (measured).  I switched to film caps that had a lower dissipation factor and that improved (again verified by measurements, not by listening).  In that case, the caps were less expensive, so there's that.

There are differences between polyester and polypropylene caps, but it's application specific.  For the majority of pedal applications, it probably doesn't matter.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper