News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dyna-comp/ Ross Compressor (AKA Trash Compactor)

Started by Jamiroking, July 09, 2010, 09:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiroking

This wasn't a mad bean board but I couldn't have done this without everything I learned here. The board is from tonepad.com. It's real quality stuff but not quite as space-conscious as the two mad bean boards I built. It had the traces covered with plastic with only the solder holes exposed. Very nice to look at unless you happen to end up destroying the pad. So I ended up having to scrape the cover off the trace and reach the lead around to it but it still works! I've been pretty amazed how much a person like me can screw up on these boards and still end up with a working unit at the end. Because the ross comp and dynacomp use the same layout bar 4 capacitors and a couple resistors, I used a mod they posted to install a toggle switch to take them in and out of the circuit. If you end up building this, I'd recommend just a 4pst since they're easier to find and the dynacomp just leaves the slots empty. I was trying to get an LED hooked up to change color with the different modes but couldn't quite figure out how and ended up frying my tri color LED along with 2 others anyways so it doesnt matter. For this one I'm still deciding between Dynasauross and Dyana Ross which was suggested on this website. Knowing me, it'll be months before any of these pedals get names/art

gtr2

bonus points for top mounted 9v
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

Nice. I 've built two or three of the Ross style compressors using the tonepad boards. I really like the rebote 2.5 delay board from tonepad.

irmcdermott

For those of you that have built these compressors, how subtle was the attack control? i mounted mine externally and it has little affect on it. Also, could any of you crack yours open and list the voltages that you are getting? This effect is driving me up the wall. :)

Jamiroking

@irmcdermott

I'm not sure what you mean by the attack control. Mine has to pots: Level and Sustain. They both seem to work rather noticably. If you're talking about the internal trimpot, mine was more of the release of the compressor, adjusting the cutoff so your notes aren't getting clipped off. If you're taking about something else, I'm afraid you're over my head and I wouldn't be much help anyways since I don't even have a multimeter!
Sorry

nzCdog

There is something unmistakenly alluring about a small metal enclosure bursting with multicolored wires... I like it, Nice job dude :)

irmcdermott

Quote from: Jamiroking on April 17, 2011, 04:55:52 PM
@irmcdermott

I'm not sure what you mean by the attack control. Mine has to pots: Level and Sustain. They both seem to work rather noticably. If you're talking about the internal trimpot, mine was more of the release of the compressor, adjusting the cutoff so your notes aren't getting clipped off. If you're taking about something else, I'm afraid you're over my head and I wouldn't be much help anyways since I don't even have a multimeter!
Sorry

I misread something on another forum. I was referring to the trim, but after further reading, realized I was mistaken. Thanks!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job. Definitely an intriguing project. I'm considering going for the guitarpcb. MoRC since I haven't experimented with etching yet.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Jamiroking

UPDATE:

Like my Krankasaurus, I stripped the paint (what was left of it) and decided to refinish this pedal. I also decided to salvage the 4pdt toggle to use elsewhere since the dyna/ross cap switching mod turned out to be a dud. You can read a discussion here : http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2722.0.

Instead, I replaced the toggle with a Spdt switch with the mark hammer mod adjusting the recovery. It is subtle but DEFINITELY does something which is more than the other mod. This basically gives you a small-large-medium resistance on the on-on-on toggle. You can read about it here: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/ross.php It is mostly noticeable if you're playing fast lines.

I'm not too happy with the paint job but I think I was just worn out after sanding paint for 3 hours to make this one smooth