News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Safely Power Road Rage Prototyping Rig

Started by selatape, January 03, 2020, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selatape

Hi Everyone,

Just getting back into pedal building after a long break!

I decided to build a prototyping rig as described in the madbean tutorial and have used the Road Rage circuit to give me the different voltages +9, +15 , +18, -9v DC etc.

My question, and possibly a daft one, is whether it is safe to power this breadboard/rig with my isolated power supply or if I should stick with using a 9v battery?

I know the road rage charge pump circuit has polarity protection but I'm not sure if this helps if I short something by accident while breadboarding. Dont want to mess up my power supply.

Thanks for your help!

diablochris6

I would think that as long as things are clearly labelled, you shouldn't have an issue. You are more likely to damage the components of the Road Rage or whatever circuit you are testing rather than the power supply.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

selatape

Thanks. Really wasn't sure. I know without the road rage circuit it's a bad idea to breadboard with a power supply. If there was a short to ground and no quick fuse on the power supply it would almost certainly do some damage. A battery on the other hand would just drain really fast.

HamSandwich

I think you'd be surprised at the robustness of some of today's power supplies. I breadboard with a 1spot and have had no issues. I believe it has some shut down protection that cycles every few seconds if there's adverse conditions.

selatape

Appreciate the reassurances. Never opened one up so wasn't sure!