News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Andromeda

Started by TNblueshawk, January 03, 2020, 10:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

So this BOM shows 2.2uf FILM caps for 3 spots. I've never seen anything larger than a 1uf film cap in pedal projects so needless to say I don't have the 2.2uf film ones.

Can I still use a 2.2uf electro in it's place? If so, what are some possible differences?

I don't have any more ordres to make so paying $8 for shipping for 3 caps from Mouser is something I'd like to avoid  guess.
John

benny_profane

I just took a look at the BOM, and all 2.2µF caps are listed as 4mm electrolytic and there's only two (i.e., C6 and C17)? The revision history indicates that this document is the initial release, so there shouldn't be other versions floating around. I'm not sure what you're seeing?

mjcyates

I just recently built this using the online BOM and yes only 2 2.2uf caps and both are electros

TNblueshawk

Quote from: mjcyates on January 03, 2020, 11:24:20 AM
I just recently built this using the online BOM and yes only 2 2.2uf caps and both are electros

Well crap. I'm working on half a dozen pedals at the same time and I meant to type in Andromeda. So all the above applies except it is the Andromeda circuit.

Thanks mj for catching that. 
John

Bio77

The 1590B circuit uses electros, the new 125B circuit has 2.2u film.  This is the first I have heard of these, as well.  If it were me, I would compare the 1590b and 125b schematics and determine the right orientation for electros or tantalums on the new board. Based on what 1uF films cost, I bet 2.2u films are expensive. 

benny_profane

Quote from: Bio77 on January 03, 2020, 12:21:46 PM
The 1590B circuit uses electros, the new 125B circuit has 2.2u film.  This is the first I have heard of these, as well.  If it were me, I would compare the 1590b and 125b schematics and determine the right orientation for electros or tantalums on the new board. Based on what 1uF films cost, I bet 2.2u films are expensive.
It might also be worth calculating the Fc of using 1µF caps there if you want to stick with film. I believe that circuit can be rather bassy, so you might be able to reduce a bit of bass as well.