News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Audio pot taper - brand comparison chart?

Started by Aentons, February 04, 2020, 04:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I remember seeing a chart somewheres on the internets a few years back but I can't seem to find it. It showed a graph for the different audio tapers for CTS, Alpha, Bourn's and I think one other. Anybody have a reference to that or anything like it?

I'm not sure if the chart I saw was referencing a certain type or size, but I'm mainly looking for 25mm guitar control pots info. I'm also interested in any custom taper details for some of these DiMarzio, Emerson types.

I gutted my SG of the Jimmy Page push/pull
setup and went back to all stock Gibson branded 300k pots with 4 wire 490r/498t set. I will eventually want to do something different with it. It may be as simple as changing to 500k or I may do something crazy and go all concentric and give each parallel coil it's own volume with hp/lp on the tones. I'm in the info gathering stage at the moment so any input helps. Thanks!

davent

There's a comparison graph in this article based on what he had on hand, not sure whether it's the one or even that useful.

http://www.planetz.com/more-on-selecting-pots-and-evaluating-tapers/

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aentons

I think that may be something different than what I saw. But still helpful. Thanks

Aentons

My understanding is that most modern audio taper pots have something like a 90:10 ratio, which looks like the Alpha in the chart. The CTS looks like a 60:40 which I've heard Is considered ideal for a passive volume control.

Is there a proper term for the ratios? Is the ratio info published by the manufacturer? Sometimes I've seen some of the custom taper CTS pots listed as a percentage like Monotone at 30% and Emerson lists theirs as propriety.