News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding soft clipping to a Klone?

Started by standingzero, January 04, 2020, 10:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

standingzero

Hey all,
I'm trying to add a Soft-Clipping mod in my Refractor Klone, but don't know how to wire it on to the PCB. Could you help me figure this out?

I've attached a photo of the PCB and what I think is the relevant part of the schematic. For reference, here's the post that shows the soft clipping mod:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/klon-centaur-with-optional-bass-control.html

Drew Hallenbeck

I would leave R-12 off of the main PCB and run jumper wires from it's spot to a toggle switch. Use a DPDT on/off/on toggle and connect the jumpers to the center lugs.  Also connect the 422K resistor (R-12) across those lugs as well. Then put your two pairs of clipping diodes on the top and bottom pairs of lugs. The 422K resistor will always be in the circuit just like normal. With the toggle in the up or down position you'll be adding either pair of soft clipping diodes. In the center/off position the soft clipping diodes will be out of the circuit and it'll be just like stock.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

standingzero

Awesome!!! That's what I was thinking. Thanks so much

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on January 06, 2020, 10:28:32 PM
I would leave R-12 off of the main PCB and run jumper wires from it's spot to a toggle switch. Use a DPDT on/off/on toggle and connect the jumpers to the center lugs.  Also connect the 422K resistor (R-12) across those lugs as well. Then put your two pairs of clipping diodes on the top and bottom pairs of lugs. The 422K resistor will always be in the circuit just like normal. With the toggle in the up or down position you'll be adding either pair of soft clipping diodes. In the center/off position the soft clipping diodes will be out of the circuit and it'll be just like stock.