Main Menu

Cornish OC-1

Started by gordo, January 06, 2020, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreprs

hi

i have a problem with this pedal

the small pcb is damaged and the pedal is not fuctioning

i want to remove the small pcb and wire the footswitch without it but i dont know how i tried with no succes

anyone can help?

matmosphere

Quote from: andreprs on April 13, 2021, 12:37:45 AM
hi

i have a problem with this pedal

the small pcb is damaged and the pedal is not fuctioning

i want to remove the small pcb and wire the footswitch without it but i dont know how i tried with no succes

anyone can help?

See if this helps

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf

I haven't done an Aion pedal like this before so I don't know how the pads are labeled, but this diagram will work. Just ignore the battery stuff.

rgoodman1

Really nice. How did you make the sticker/decal/not sure what to call it in the cornish style? I'd like to create one but I have no clue how. Thanks!

rgoodman1

Quote from: gordo on January 06, 2020, 05:17:28 PM
After cramming my last few builds in 1590A enclosures going back to a 125B build is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.  This is the Aion board (Oceanid) that's their trace of the venerable Pete Cornish OC-1 compressor.  "Okeanides" represent divine blessings (nymphs) in Greek mythology that presided over the earth's fresh water.  In the same way Cornish represents divine blessings in pedal mythology and presides over people with unlimited spending power.

It's a very compelling compressor.  Extremely quiet with a very smooth attack and decay, it has a bit more squish than most opticals at the end of it's range.  And of course the Cornish buffer.  Switchable but who would dare do such a thing...

Really nice. How did you make the sticker/decal/not sure what to call it in the cornish style? I'd like to create one but I have no clue how. If you created a file for this could you please share it? Thanks!

KMRO

Great looking build - super sharp.  Nice graphics and that board looks cleaaaaan.  I also appreciate your discussion of the impact on tone and +/- of the pedal.  I often fall in love with whatever I just built and don't always think clearly about what sounds good or works in my flow.  I dig your honest take.

harmaes

I've just finished building the same PCB today and although its working reasonably well I do notice that it does have noise in the form of crackles. Single coils with maximum volume don't exhibit this issue but humbucker pickups on max volume do have this issue. Reducing the volume to around 8 removes the crackles. Inside trim and playing around with the blend and comp settings don't influence the crackles. The crackling issues is prominent with guitar and bass BTW. Same issue.

1. Could this be impedance related?
2. is this related to the LM358N or P opamp as its known for distortion issues?
3. Original uses BC549c, maybe try that instead of the 2n5088? Although I've never had issues with the 2n5088.

Overall it's an OK working compressor but I've played better ones that have more control over attack and release like the Origin effects Cali76. The inside trimmer is not doing much to the overall behavior and I find the blend to influence the compression in a strange way. The compression feels more like volume reduction with an attack that is too quick IMO and from no compression it kicks in too heavy when turning the comp knob.

gordo

Hmmm, wish I could be more help on this one but I don't have the pedal anymore.  I'd start by checking and re-checking all your parts values and soldering but crackling I'd think would be a chip or transistor issue.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

tcpoint

Does it work with buffered bypass or true bypass?  Do you have an audio probe?  I've built one.  I hard-wired mine to be buffered bypass.

harmaes

Quote from: gordo on March 06, 2022, 08:41:42 AM
Hmmm, wish I could be more help on this one but I don't have the pedal anymore.  I'd start by checking and re-checking all your parts values and soldering but crackling I'd think would be a chip or transistor issue.

I did some more testing and I think it's related to the output of the pickups used.
I performed a test with my tele and on the single coils there were no crackles and using both pickups in series (humbucking) crackling started to occur. Not sure where in the circuit this would occur or if I should try replacing some of the opams?

harmaes

Quote from: tcpoint on March 06, 2022, 08:58:32 AM
Does it work with buffered bypass or true bypass?  Do you have an audio probe?  I've built one.  I hard-wired mine to be buffered bypass.

I have a switch installed so I can select between both. I prefer to use true bypass because I already have a Klon in my chain that has a buffer. I didn't notice any difference between true or buffered bypass concerning the crackling.

BTW, the crackles with humbuckers and higher output pickups occur even with all pots at minumum level.
So I indeed must try to use an audio probe to see if I can detect where the crackles start to occur.

harmaes

harmaes

Ok, I solved the problem by using an audio probe and checking the signal after the first TL072 opamp. After that the signal started crackling where probing before it was a clean signal.
The TL072 opamps I received were TL072IN and I replaced them with TL072P from my own stock and the crackling is gone. No issues with low to higher output pickups!

jimilee

Quote from: harmaes on March 06, 2022, 12:13:08 PM
Ok, I solved the problem by using an audio probe and checking the signal after the first TL072 opamp. After that the signal started crackling where probing before it was a clean signal.
The TL072 opamps I received were TL072IN and I replaced them with TL072P from my own stock and the crackling is gone. No issues with low to higher output pickups!
Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.