News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cornish OC-1

Started by gordo, January 06, 2020, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

After cramming my last few builds in 1590A enclosures going back to a 125B build is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.  This is the Aion board (Oceanid) that's their trace of the venerable Pete Cornish OC-1 compressor.  "Okeanides" represent divine blessings (nymphs) in Greek mythology that presided over the earth's fresh water.  In the same way Cornish represents divine blessings in pedal mythology and presides over people with unlimited spending power.

It's a very compelling compressor.  Extremely quiet with a very smooth attack and decay, it has a bit more squish than most opticals at the end of it's range.  And of course the Cornish buffer.  Switchable but who would dare do such a thing...

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Top notch tidy and the llooks to boot! Nailed it!
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Damn nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TGP39

Magnificent!  Love the gut shot.  The wiring is fantisimo!
~Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

tcpoint

Nice build.  I built one and it is a nice compressor.  I let my friend try it and I have one less compressor, now.

gordo

I hear that.  The stuff I really like I don't let anyone else try anymore cuz I know I'll never get it back.  I think I've built a total of 3 Collosalus' (Collosalii?) and I still don't own one :-)
Gordy Power

chongmagic

Did you measure the resistance on the trimmer to bias it or just by ear?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

andreprs

hi i finished this one too

did you use the lm358n?

gordo

I did.  Don't recall if it was old stock or something that I ordered.
Gordy Power

Bret608

Throwing a hot dog down a hallway, I love that phrase! This looks great and now you've made me want to try it out.

jjjimi84

Great work and I gotta ask, is the cornish buffer that great?!? I have read about it, I bought two of Kevins Cornish boards to try it out but is it really that great?

gordo

Honestly, this is a nice comp but I ended up putting it in with Buddy's stock of my builds.  I just never bonded with it.  And for no real reason, it just didn't have "it", whatever that is.  The comps I use on my live board are the Bajaman LA2A that I etched from the Etcher's Paradise Holly Roller docs, and the PedalPCB Constrictor (Demeter Compulator).  As I shrink my live rig down the Holy Roller will be the go-to.

The HR is a limiter and I think the difference is that because it doesn't get a chance to boost the noise floor it's much quieter.  Humbuckers tend to hit it a bit too hard and the limiting becomes less useful but it absolutely adores my tele (with a pretty hot Seymour Duncan bridge) so it seems to be more frequency selective than output.

Comps, for me, are a bit of a frustrating mess because what sounds cool down here in the dungeon can sometimes sound like crap on stage, and vice versa.  I think the OC-1 was stuck there.
Gordy Power

jimilee

I really like the cornish stuff, it's all really smooth sounding.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Gordo, did you see Erics instagram of your amp? I know he is loving the champ and I think the bassman is heading home with him too!

I am in the same page as you for compression, I love it but am really picky. The constrictor is really nice, I have high hopes for the engineers thumb compressor. It is on my to do list.

gordo

Not on instagram but I did talk to Eric and glad to see it going to a good home. The other amp is actually a low power Tweed Twin. Clean headroom for days but loud.
Gordy Power