News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good bye Eagle..... At least as we know it

Started by PMowdes2, January 07, 2020, 07:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMowdes2

So Autodesk are getting rid of eagle and merging it with Fusion 360.

I'm not sure what this means in the long term and hopefully I'm worrying over nothing. But I can't help wonder why they don't just leave it alone.

I guess they need to justify the subscription fee somehow 😠😩😠
DeadEndFX

thesmokingman

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

tatou

I'm still running EAGLE 7.7 (3 years old) and just happened to the website just today (curious about whether or not to upgrade)... and saw this!

It looks as though there will still be an "EAGLE Free" version for use by hobbyists with the same/similar constraints (2 signal or plane layers and 80 cm² board area; which is plenty for most pedals). At least, that's how I read it...?

I've been thinking of switching to KiCad for a year or two to go fully open-source, but the learning curve for EAGLE was high enough as it was, and I've also come accustomed to the Madbean EAGLE Library (can that be converted to other platforms?). Is there a good tutorial aimed at pedal hobbyists for KiCad? :)
machines, music, and mischief. i run FAWM at https://fawm.org

gordo

I think the stuff they've done with it so far has been ok.  I've been an AutoCAD user for decades now and they've wiffed a few times but for the most part the products have been good.

Just downloaded F360 now and have yet to install it, so we'll see.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Not surprised at all. This is what Autodesk does - buys a company and kills their software after a couple of years. They did the same thing with my favorite 3D package, XSI.

Anyway, I still have my 7.7 license and it does everything I need it to for the time being!

PMowdes2

My problem is I have zero use for the 3d rubbish, it's nice to see the 3d stuff but in the end i can live without it.

I've been using the madbean library and it does 99% of what I need.  To use the 3d stuff there will need to be 3d packages added to all of the components in the library which I'm sure represents a significant amount of work.

Groan
DeadEndFX

Max

Hi Guys, I never tried KiCad, but apparently from version 5.0 it's able to import Eagle sch/brd files (not without issues):
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-5-0-eagle-import/12109
I'll give it a try as soon as possible.
Cheers,
Max.

m-Kresol

I see this as a pro and con with the latter being the stronger aspect.
On the one hand, we are always short on 3D CAD licenses at work and so we just got 3 licenses for Fusion without any charge and also for the rare occasion I need to design something at home to have a friend 3d print it, this might come in handy.
However, this concerns me:
QuoteHow can I subscribe to EAGLE after January 7, 2020?
After January 7th, 2020, you'll need to subscribe to Fusion 360 which includes EAGLE Premium. EAGLE Standard will no longer be available for new purchases. However, if you own a current EAGLE Standard subscription, you can renew at the end of your subscription term.
this will put a serious entry burden (494 € currently for fusion vs. 280 € for eagle iirc. This is price per year, btw.) on anyone who wants to do more than the odd eagle pcb design and would like the standard version.

Also, i find this weird:
QuoteIs there a difference in price between EAGLE Standard and Fusion 360 with EAGLE Standard?
No, as long you continue to renew Fusion 360 with EAGLE Standard, your price will stay the same.

So, only because I already subscribed to Eagle before the merge, I have access to the cheaper version, but new customers don't?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

benny_profane

I'm currently running Eagle 9.5.2. I just logged in this morning to see if anything had functionally changed. It seems that everything is still okay to use (with the old constraints in place). Is this the case, or am I missing something? Do these changes just impact those who are using the non-hobbyist package(s) (i.e., bigger board size, more layers, etc.)?

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer