News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A place for my stuff.

Started by MTK, January 12, 2020, 01:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

Quote from: Nightshazz on August 24, 2020, 02:05:41 PM
Fantastic builds! They look great! How did you apply the artwork to the enclosures? They look awesome! This is off topic, but where did you get those sweet storage bins for all your small components parts? Thanks!

In re storage: check out Akro-Mils drawer units.

MTK

I haven't been doing much complete pedal building lately, mostly just working on some circuits. However, I did knock out a wooden 1590A-ish enclosure the other day. First time doing this and I'm definitely making more, so many options going this route. This one is Tornillo with an Ash knob.

Build Folder - https://imgur.com/a/xIbKW67

davent

Quote from: MTK on September 28, 2020, 08:48:42 AM
I haven't been doing much complete pedal building lately, mostly just working on some circuits. However, I did knock out a wooden 1590A-ish enclosure the other day. First time doing this and I'm definitely making more, so many options going this route. This one is Tornillo with an Ash knob.

Build Folder - https://imgur.com/a/xIbKW67

With your woodworking chops it was only a matter of time, looks great! The new adventure begins...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

MTK

I've been working on this one for almost a month. The Databus Drive is the largest pcb I've ever worked on and the "enclosure" has the most hours I've put into a pedal build yet. Lots of Sketchup work before hitting the shop. As soon as Parasit posted the demo of this build a few months back, I knew what I wanted to do but wasn't sure I'd be able to pull it off. Getting the toggles just right was particularly tricky but, overall, it turned out better than I expected. I'm pretty bad at painting but it could've been worse. I'm still on the fence about adding labels, I'm digging how it looks as is. Kinda sleek.

Build pics - https://imgur.com/a/RrPInGR

PCB - https://www.parasitstudio.se/store/p83/C19_Databus_Drive_PCB.html

dan.schumaker

That is awesome looking!  The enclosure is hella cool!

jimilee

That is truly awesome. You've really outdone yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mjg

That enclosure is perfect for the effect, nicely done!

rockola

The Atari 2600 rides again. The joystick/footswitch is really the cherry on top. Is the red button functional?

MTK

Quote from: dan.schumaker on November 12, 2020, 12:33:12 AM
That is awesome looking!  The enclosure is hella cool!

Thanks, man. It was fun but took a bit longer than I thought it would. Between my Sagan build and this, I think I'm done with pedals for the next few months. lol Well, probably not circuits but definitely no more out of the ordinary enclosures for a while. That's what I'm thinking at least. We'll see what actually happens.

Quote from: jimilee on November 12, 2020, 02:33:38 AM
That is truly awesome. You've really outdone yourself.

Very kind of you. Thanks.

Quote from: mjg on November 12, 2020, 05:46:55 AM
That enclosure is perfect for the effect, nicely done!

I appreciate that, man.

Quote from: rockola on November 12, 2020, 06:06:39 AM
The Atari 2600 rides again. The joystick/footswitch is really the cherry on top. Is the red button functional?

No, it's just a painted slice from a dowel rod. The separate enclosure/joystick was actually a suggestion from a friend of mine. I was originally planning on putting the footswitches on the front corners of the main enclosure. His idea was waaaay better.

dawson

Holy balls!

I didn't think for a moment that your enclosure wasn't an old re-purposed plastic housing for some obsolete tech... until I saw the build pics!
Awesome planning and execution, sir.  Everyone ought to go check out those build pictures!

Edit*  I almost forgot to mention how cool your extra-long switch toggles are-  they're very cool.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

MTK

Quote from: dawson on November 14, 2020, 11:36:33 PM
Holy balls!

I didn't think for a moment that your enclosure wasn't an old re-purposed plastic housing for some obsolete tech... until I saw the build pics!
Awesome planning and execution, sir.  Everyone ought to go check out those build pictures!

Edit*  I almost forgot to mention how cool your extra-long switch toggles are-  they're very cool.

Thanks, man. I learned a lot on the build.

MTK

I've been tinkering with more wooden enclosures and also wooden knobs.

This is an EQD Dirt Tranmitter clone with a walnut enclosure. I just went at this one willy nilly and it too waaaay longer than it should have.

I decided to take a different approach for this next one and build a router template. It went much better and a ton faster. I made the template from 1/2" mdf and soaked it with thinned CA glue, it's super sturdy now. I used double sided tape to hold it to the walnut blank and routed it out. Next time I'll use the drill press to hog out the bulk of the material then just clean it up with the router, that'll speed up the process even more.

This one is a Rat with switchable clipping diodes, silicon and red LEDs. It's also made from walnut.

This thing is jam packed. It's about an inch longer than a 1590A but the internal width and height is about the same.

And here's a canary wood and walnut knob.

I started by throwing a canary wood dowel into the lathe and drilling out the center. Then cut them into slices.

Then drilled the set screw hole.

Glued them in place. (I unknowingly ruined 3 of them by getting glue on the set screw threads :()

Added the walnut top.

This is a better resolution clip of that gif - https://i.imgur.com/DwBeFmB.mp4

dawson

Wow dude, that Rat is so cool-looking!
The cream mini-chickenheads with the single-letter stamps all on that nice walnut- doesn't get any classier than that unless you're using gold-plated stomp-washers.

What finish is that on the walnut?  That sheen..
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?