News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rustbucket 2019 confusion

Started by jimilee, January 12, 2020, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

IC10 Pins 2 and 7 and IC7 pin 4 have around 14v each and I don't know why. I have reflowed, scratched between joints on the bottom to make sure that there are no solder bridges and tediously looked at each resistor and made sure I had the right ones. Each cap and trannie are all correct. I even replaced those two ICs. I'm not sure where to go from here. Is something not dumping to the ground that should be?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

What's the problem? IC10 Pin 7 is pulled to voltage via R45 & IC7 pin 4 is connected to it, comparators & CMOS go high and low...

Is it not working?
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 12, 2020, 04:52:41 PM
What's the problem? IC10 Pin 7 is pulled to voltage via R45 & IC7 pin 4 is connected to it, comparators & CMOS go high and low...

Is it not working?
They're supposed to be like 16mv. I'm having troubled getting the mn 3007 biased. The signal is hot. IC 10 and 7 were the only anomalies I could find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

As I said, they swing high and low and they're not connected to the BBD, they only function as the attack/decay portion and telling the VCA when to open/close.

How hot are your pickups? There's quite a bit o' gain and a compressor up front of the BBD which will bring the signal level up quite a bit.

We chatted about the Downtown and this uses a pretty similar front end apart from the low pass filter so I'm wondering if it's your pickups or your sensitivity setting, which should be pretty set and forget.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

I was using burst buckers. Not too hot, I may switch to my tele and see if that's the difference.

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 12, 2020, 05:40:46 PM
As I said, they swing high and low and they're not connected to the BBD, they only function as the attack/decay portion and telling the VCA when to open/close.

How hot are your pickups? There's quite a bit o' gain and a compressor up front of the BBD which will bring the signal level up quite a bit.

We chatted about the Downtown and this uses a pretty similar front end apart from the low pass filter so I'm wondering if it's your pickups or your sensitivity setting, which should be pretty set and forget.
Here's the problem. I have an 18v one and the 9v one. I can't get the envelope to open smoothly on the 9 v one. It's either barely there or abruptly opens, not smoothly. Switching to single coils didn't help.

Scruffie

Ahh, right, so it isn't just the BBD. Well they're swinging high because they're jammed open which would fit your description so I would look further down stream to the input section.

You know the drill, pictures etc.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 13, 2020, 05:56:07 AM
Ahh, right, so it isn't just the BBD. Well they're swinging high because they're jammed open which would fit your description so I would look further down stream to the input section.

You know the drill, pictures etc.
Thank you sir.

jimilee

Scruffie

You didn't mention IC8 was nearly all 14V, that looks more problematic...
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 13, 2020, 02:02:00 PM
You didn't mention IC8 was nearly all 14V, that looks more problematic...
It was a mess, I didn't realize it was. Whatchoo think it's coming from? It all looks connected.

Scruffie

It is all connected (the 4066 is a quad SPST) and it's too late at night to go through the datasheet seeing where everything connects.

Pop it out and see what happens to the voltages then.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on January 13, 2020, 04:22:35 PM
It is all connected (the 4066 is a quad SPST) and it's too late at night to go through the datasheet seeing where everything connects.

Pop it out and see what happens to the voltages then.
Cool man, I appreciate all of your help.

Thewintersoldier

Watching this to learn something new but as my board for this is in the mail right now. This is also why I love this forum, everyone helping each other without the condescending BS of some other forums
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Turns out, the 4066 was bad. After I took voltages without it in there, I knew what to do. I'll recheck the rest of the voltages later today.