News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Top Albums of the Decade

Started by TheDude, January 17, 2020, 07:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Quote from: Muadzin on January 18, 2020, 01:19:29 PM
There hasn't been an album of the decade since the 90's, when Nirvana's Nevermind and Metallica's Black Album were game changers.
Let's face it, like rock, the concept of the album is dead. In a way we've moved back to the 50's, where artists didn't release albums, they released singles.

Agree to disagree.  You gotta dig deep like you did in the 50's.  Depends whether we're talking charting music or music-in-general.  Charting stuff is fluff and has been for too long now.  The masses listen to what they're told to listen to.  And even then there are a few gems.  Still, music is totally different to today's culture than it was to say, 20 years ago.  Old farts like myself can still find solace in young equivalents like Gary Clark Jr. and even sonic wizards like Ed Sheeran (who is too over produced on radio...you have to see him live to realize this level of talent).  There's still hope.  Just not on radio.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

i stopped listening to commercial radio in the days of Nirvana. Have never had any problem finding, learning of new and interesting to me music on non-commercial over the air radio, the internet, in print media, word of mouth, perusing  the shelves of cd's at my neighbourhood library, record/cd  stores... in the years since. Endless amount of stuff new and old i need to hear.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

m-Kresol

Some of my favourites that I've been coming back to regularly. Different direction than most would take, but I've been digging into post-rock since 2007 and would call it my favourite genre. There's some austrian stuff as well that are kind of my local heroes and I visit every time I can.

*) pg.lost - Versus
*) Caspian - Dust and Disquiet
*) We lost the sea - Departure Songs
*) Steaming Satellites - Mozart Moustache Affair
*) Muse - Drones
*) Lehnen - I see you shadow
*) Calexico - Spiritoso

Also dig the newest Oh, Hiroshima album "oscillations". Not sure it would make the list, but it's up there
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chongmagic

I don't listen to many albums anymore, well ones from the last decade. But I really dig MGMT "Congratulations"

I dig Com Truise too lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Timko

I'm going to genre hop a lot because I spent most of the 2010s genre hopping.  This list, BTW, is in no particular order.

Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now
Run The Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
Aseop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Queens Of The Stone Age - Like Clockwork
St. Vincent - St. Vincent
Kurt Vile - Walkin' On a Pretty Day
Radical Face - Family Tree: The Leaves
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Flaming Lips - The Terror

I feel I spent a lot of time discovering old music over the past 10 years.  The magestity that is Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co/Jason Molina, the guitar greatness of J Mascis and Dinosair Jr, and nearly everything Brian Eno touched, from Talking Heads to David Bowie to his electronic solo projects.

Thanks to m-Kresol for listening Spiritoso by Calexico.  I remembr being into Algiers when it got releases but lost sight of the band after that.  Also, I enjoy the shout outs to Milk Carton Kids (I've seen them 3 times, the first being as an opener for Punch Brothers during their support for their first EP, Prologue) and Aseop Rock (a discovery for me over the past 2 years, but man is he good). 

Invertiguy

Glad to see Aesop Rock and RTJ getting so much love on here, they're both among my favorite hip-hop artists and their spot on these lists is definitely well-deserved. I don't know if I'd quite rank The Incredible Kid higher than Labor Days in Aesop's discography, but it's still an incredibly solid album and one of my favorites. And all of RTJ's work is fire, with personal preference going to RTJ 2. Of course, any mention of RTJ would be remiss without mentioning El-P and Killer Mike's individual works, and Cancer 4 Cure and R.A.P. Music probably belong on the list as well. As far as non-RTJ and Aesop Rock albums go, well, here's a brief list of some of my other favorites from the past decade (in no particular order):

Every Time I Die- Low Teens
The Dillinger Escape Plan- Disassociation
Rush- Clockwork Angels
Converge- The Dusk In Us
Meshuggah- The Violent Sleep Of Reason
Sleep- The Sciences
He Is Legend- Heavy Fruit
Clutch- Earth Rocker
Rivers of Nihil- Where Owls Know My Name
Flatbush Zombies- Vacation In Hell
Doomsday Devices

SirEgno

most of the albums I discovered in this decade were released in the '90s  ;D
My top albums, in come-in-mind order:

Colour Haze - She Said
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
Sleep - The Science
John Garcia And The Band Of Gold
All Them Witches - Sleeping Through the War
Boris - Dear
Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
Om - Advaitic Song
Verbal - Verbal
Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon

lars

1. Higgs Slable - Refrigerator Blues
2. News from Venus - Orbital Decay
3. Lergen Hurgen - Umlauts for Breakfast
4. Jaz Klick - Raindrips
5. Sally Curzwell - On T.V.
6. Burt Follows - Sands
7. Purple Glasses - Listen to my shorts
8. Ain't Broke - Slow Burn
9. Giants of Influence - Nobody Listening
10. You Say Huh, We Say What? - Artsy stuff for tens of fans

Honorable mention for:  Ink Bucket Sound - Remember MySpace?
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

MTK

The top albums for me would have to be

Mouth of the Architect - The Ties that Bind

True Widow -
True Widow(self-titled)
As High As the Highest Heavens and From the Center to the Circumference of the Earth
Circumambulation

Jeff Loomis -
Zero Order Phase
Plains of Oblivion

Isis - Panopticon

Meshuggah - Koloss

High on Fire - The Art of Self Defense

Bass Invaders - (self-titled)

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Metallica - And Justice For All  (I'll probably play that album regularly as long as my hearing holds up)

That's all I can think of right now.

Aentons

At my house it's:

1) Frozen - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
2) Frozen II - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
3) Moana - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
4) Grimes - Kill V. Maim (my kids love this for some reason)
5) Pop Star Cryash - Poopydoopydoodoo underwear butt (its only on Amazon Music as far as I can tell)

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Aentons on January 23, 2020, 08:27:19 AM
At my house it's:

1) Frozen - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
2) Frozen II - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
3) Moana - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Same here!

TheDude

Wow, this conversation is exactly what I had hoped to spur with the original post. So much great music being shared - plenty that I've heard of, and even more new stuff. Some fantastic recommendations, and lots I still have yet to dig through. I'm blown away in particular by the love for Aesop Rock. The guy has been shown to have possibly the biggest vocabulary in hip hop, and his lyrics require you to pay attention, which is my guess as to why he gets so much love here. We're obviously all audiophiles to some degree based on our interest in building pedals, so its seems there's a higher appreciation for music that requires more attention. Pretty neat stuff guys. Hope everyone has found at least one new song they enjoy from this!

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides