News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can you identify these Russian Diodes?

Started by Bunkey, January 27, 2020, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunkey

Hello madbean forum!

I just made the jump here from DIYStompboxes   8)

You guys seem to be an equally invaluable knowledge base and I'm hoping someone here might be able to address my query:

A few months ago I was sent a batch of silicon diodes in error by a Russian supplier of NOS Soviet military components.

I'm cataloging my stock and trying to identify what these are exactly..

They have a clear glass casing with a single white dot marking the ANODE

and a forward voltage of ~770mV in my cold-af house.

I have about 70 of them so it'd be nice to know what they are   ;D

I haven't had the opportunity to put them into practice yet but of course if anyone would like to try some for themselves just give me a shout and I'll do my best to accommodate.

Cheers
Ben (UK)

matmosphere

Bunkey

Bingo. They absolutely do!

770mV germanium though?  :o

They're all around that value too so it's not like it's just a few dodgy ones. The same seller I got them from pictures their D9D's with a white band, which is consistent with what I've seen elsewhere.

These also sound brighter when used as a biasing diode in a Bazz Fuss than the other Ge diodes I have so I'd say their leakage is more consistent with Si.

Maybe someone is trying to pass these off as something they're not  ::) It would be nice if someone else could confirm this though.

Bunkey

Having sorted through them they're all in the high 770's / 780's with a few exceptions like this double marked casing and a couple that were hovering around 820:

I considered just asking the seller what they are but I got them mixed in with a 100 lot of D9K's at an appalling 70:30 ratio so I think he might have been trying to cut the larger lots of Ge's with these non-descript Si blanks; he doesn't have anything like these listed as anything else in the shop (like I say, his D9D's have bands). I queried it immediately at the time and he sent me another 50 D9K's without question - So it's a bit of an awkward subject to approach again!

Interesting stuff anyway. For now they shall be called 'Mystery Russians'  :P though they are very much Si diodes, at least the ones I have.

I'm tempted to try some of the D9D's you linked to see how they compare - should be 330 / 340 - I've sent that seller a message to see what he says.
I certainly haven't come across the markings before though.

Thanks for the help.