News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Runtime Error

Started by gordo, January 15, 2020, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

The Systech OD has been on my radar since playing one in the 70's.  By the end of their run you could hardly give one away but I always liked the whole line of their effects.  Of course now they're stupid expensive if you can find one at all.  The EQ on this is edgy to say the least, and if you can't hear yourself over a loud drummer (per the build docs) you likely forgot to turn your amp on.

I seem to be getting the hang of the 1590A builds and in no small part to the new drill template.  Everything drops into place quite nicely, and I used Lumberg jacks and the small Lumberg power jack.

Edited the original logo to make it fit the enclosure.  Otherwise relatively ho-hum graphics.  The photo also reminds me that I need to clean up the flux.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Looks great, you're on a 1590A roll! 

Bret608

Yeah, that looks awesome! I listened to some samples and this is a pretty wild, distinctive circuit. I am feeling inspired to get my Fritter boxed. I've always held off on trying out a 1590a.

Aleph Null

Looks really good! The modified logo fits nicely. I've been hesitating to build 1590A stuff because of past trauma. I'm glad to hear the new templates work so well.

benny_profane

Quote from: Aleph Null on January 16, 2020, 09:54:40 AM
Looks really good! The modified logo fits nicely. I've been hesitating to build 1590A stuff because of past trauma. I'm glad to hear the new templates work so well.
The daughter board for the potentiometers allow you to overdrill a little so that you get get good alignment. With these small boxes, slight shifts tend to be more apparent than with bigger boxes.

EDIT (to comment on the actual build of the thread!): That really is a good looking build! Those knobs are a great choice. And I'd agree that you're getting the hang of it!

dawson

Nice!  I've been looking forward to seeing some of these new MBP 1590a boards-

I like the "ho-hum" graphics, myself.  Some say, (I say) the minimalistic route demonstrates restraint and wisdom of an artist, and I think it will look better on a board among other effects than some wild, overly colorful mess- especially since it's such a small enclosure.

Cool build!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

gordo

Na, I'm just lazy :-)

I HATE painting so have either been leaning in on powdercoat or keeping them natural (which I'm not at all opposed to).  It's taken me forever to get my 1590A game on and it all boils down to lots of pre-planning and as benny-p noted: if you allow a bit of slop you can generally get components to cooperate.

I picked up all of the MB 1590A's that recently came out.  In some cases just to prove I could pull it off and in others it was stuff I've been eye-ing lately.  The Systech obviously, but more subtle stuff like the Demeter Fat Control (I just adore my build of the Compulator...to the point that I may seek out an original) and the Cochrane Fat Bastard (anything that guy does is awesome).  And I got really ballsy and did the SMD J201's.  I highly recommend anyone that does this board follow suit.  They're way more consistent than whats left of the thru-hole variant and it's a good introduction into patience and a bench mark of your soldering skills.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

TGP39

Really nice build Gordo.  1590A is not easy and your build looks super clean.  Love the knobs.   
~Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.