Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

the FLUNKEE FX-25 envelope filter

Started by dawson, January 21, 2020, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on January 23, 2020, 01:42:15 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 22, 2020, 06:30:13 PM
Ah, deadastronaught. I knew that pedal looked familiar. If you haven't, find some of his boards, that are top notch.
YEAH- when I originally watched the tutorial I figured he was just some dude like you or me, but who knew a bunch about etching because the only DIY pedal names I knew were BYOC and DIY Guitar Pedals.  Anyhow, I should indeed try a PCB or two of his- this free tutorial has proven to be quite valuable to me, plus there are some really creative effects going on over there- got my eye on that "Abductor Delay II."

Quote from: TGP39 on January 22, 2020, 09:36:09 PM
This is such a beautiful build inside and out.   It looks like you etch for a shorter amount of time than Dead Austronaut and that's fine.  Your results are just as aesthetically pleasing.  I also love the way you and Lee make those 3D brackets to assist your inside design.  Wonderful job.
~Steve
Why, thank you Hom..er-um..Steve, how kind!  Yes- Leevibe is on a whole other level over there, so many great builders in this community to learn from!
I built the first abductor, super neat. Check out madbeanpedals.com also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Quote from: jimilee on January 23, 2020, 01:49:15 PM
^HA- I can't hear your voice, so I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I was referencing my earlier days in that last post- I'm certainly still a newb by most measures, but I've done 2-3 years of oogling and oggling across the internet since then.  Thankfully I kept hearing "Mad Bean...Mad Bean..Mad Bean" while watching DIY Guitar Pedals' videos on YouTube and found myself here.  These days I'm a big Mad Bean fan- I can't keep up with all the rad stuff.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on January 23, 2020, 02:32:12 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 23, 2020, 01:49:15 PM
^HA- I can't hear your voice, so I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I was referencing my earlier days in that last post- I'm certainly still a newb by most measures, but I've done 2-3 years of oogling and oggling across the internet since then.  Thankfully I kept hearing "Mad Bean...Mad Bean..Mad Bean" while watching DIY Guitar Pedals' videos on YouTube and found myself here.  These days I'm a big Mad Bean fan- I can't keep up with all the rad stuff.
Nope, built the first one. Delays are like candy to me. I wouldn't be an ass to someone I don't quite know yet, but give it time :D Sorry about the madbean suggestion, I wasn't paying attention to which forum I was replying. I also frequent the BYOC forum.
Build a delay Yo!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Quote from: jimilee on January 23, 2020, 03:20:40 PM
:D Sorry about the madbean suggestion, I wasn't paying attention to which forum I was replying. I also frequent the BYOC forum.
Build a delay Yo!
OOh ok, I was confused. Cool!

Timko

Interesting.  I've never covered the large swaths of black after ironing on my graphic with nail polish; the only thing I do with polish is use it to connect the edges to painters tape I place on the sides.  Do you find this technique works better than just using the ironed transfer?

dawson

Quote from: Timko on January 24, 2020, 07:52:11 AM
Interesting.  I've never covered the large swaths of black after ironing on my graphic with nail polish; the only thing I do with polish is use it to connect the edges to painters tape I place on the sides.  Do you find this technique works better than just using the ironed transfer?

^To answer your question: sometimes.

It all really depends on how good of a transfer I'm able to do- I'm not sure if it's my printer, or my transfer paper, or me, but even some of my best transfers have had little pin-holes in the toner throughout the entire layout- those holes leak and make tiny imperfections that I don't like.  So, the less pink mask you see, the better luck I've had with the iron- if you look at the group picture, this Flunkee had some issues in that big field, but the Hot Cake transferred great and didn't need much extra masking.

Pin-hole imperfections seen here:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30572.0

Cybercow

Excellent job - inside and out! Looks great!
Cybercow - aka: Mark Davis

"Don't let your talent take you where your character can't keep you."